Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pineapple, cheese, and hungry baby!

Default Pineapple, cheese, and hungry baby!

We are doing BLW and I have a few questions, could use some direction or advice!

1. I have read conflicting info on when it's ok to start giving pineapple. Is it considered a citrus fruit like oranges? My DS is 8.5 months and we have no history of allergies. I gave some to DS today without thinking, then realized maybe it was too soon. He did love it though!

2. Okay, cheese, I have read conflicting info on when to start that too. Can I give it to him yet? I wanted to try some string cheese with him. If okay, how would I offer that? Cut up in bite size pieces, in strings, or the whole piece (scary!)?

3. My last question is about overfeeding solids. He really has never refused anything and doesn't stop eating until I stop giving it to him. When I stop he doesn't fuss for more, but would have kept eating. Only a few times has he left anything on his tray. I know with BLW they are supposed to set the pace, but I have a hard time knowing if he is eating too many solids and following his cues. He seems happy to be eating and enjoys it so much, but not sure he's really hungry! I try to BF each time before solids. Just recently he has been spacing out BF during the day to 3 or 4 hours, up til then its been every 2 hours. At night is 2-4 hours between feeds. So I think he is getting plenty of BM, but daytime feeds are so short and distracted it's hard to tell how much he gets.

Anyway- sorry for rambling! TIA!!

Default Re: Pineapple, cheese, and hungry baby!

Remind us how old your LO is?

1. Pineapple is not citrus. All citrus comes from the plant family Rutaceae. Pineapple is Bromeliaceae, also known as the bromeliad family. It's not citrus but it is a tropical fruit, and lots of people have allergies to those. So bog slow and be cautious with it.

2. IDK when you can start offering cheese, but you might want to grate it. Very baby-friendly in that form!

3. Distracted babies sometimes don't nurse enough and start really going to town on solids instead. I think I'd focus on getting him to nurse by taking him into a darkened, low-distraction environment. If he seems to be nursing better during the day, don't sweat his solid amounts so much.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Regarding the first two, I just gave my son whatever (healthy) foods I wanted and never really worried about timelines. I am pretty sure he had pineapple by then and definitely had cheese around 9 mo. I wouldn't worry about it unless you noticed something.

My son eats a ton too! Sometimes I'd give him second, third, fourth (baby sized) helpings! I wouldn't sweat that either. I normally wait until he stops or if he has had what I would consider a "good amount" I just don't give him more when he finishes it. I think as long as he is nursing and eating healthy foods, he's doing good! There is also a growth spurt at 9 mo, so he might be eating more to compensate.

Yay BLW! I love it so much.

Mommal- DS is 8.5 mo old. Thanks for the advice!

katia11- Thanks! I know- I love BLW as well! So glad I discovered it here!

My son had eaten both pineapple and cheese by eight months. I don't know how true it is because I never kept it in the house so I never checked into it, but SIL told me not to give string cheese because it is a choking hazard (the long "strings" can get caught in the throat). I gave mine shredded cheddar or swiss at that age.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    My son had eaten both pineapple and cheese by eight months. I don't know how true it is because I never kept it in the house so I never checked into it, but SIL told me not to give string cheese because it is a choking hazard (the long "strings" can get caught in the throat). I gave mine shredded cheddar or swiss at that age.
    Wow, good to know! I will look into that and avoid the strings until I know otherwise. I know my DS has gagged with other shredded foods, but only because he puts too much in his mouth. I could see him doing this with cheese. He gets it back up pretty easily now, but I have to watch him with things like that. He likes his food so he shoves it in quick!