Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop Question

Default Poop Question

I know it's normal for EBF babies to go a long time without a poop, but is this still normal after solids? We're going on day 12 with no poops. My ds has been having some solids for a couple weeks. We are trying to do BLS, so I know he isn't getting much in that way but I have also been giving him some purees. I just load the spoons and let him put it in his own mouth. He is a pretty good aim so he gets a lot of it in, but I only give him maybe 1/2 - 1 tbsp. He doesn't seem to be in pain and there are no hard lumps in his stomach. I just figured if some food is going in then something should be coming out.
    Mom to Cameron Born 07/23/2011

Default Re: Poop Question

I think it is when baby is just starting solids, and isn't yet eating a whole lot of them. But in my experience this is something to watch. If, when your LO does poop, some or all of the poop is hard enough to roll right off the diaper if you pick it up, and baby seems uncomfortable when pooping, then you're getting into constipation territory and may need to tweak your approach to solids. right now, it can't hurt to offer more fruits and veggies! (Avoid bananas and apples- both can stop a baby up.)
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When my lo started solids he went a few days with no poop and then when he did it didn't seem like much and it was kinda on the firm side. I came on here and asked the mamas and I was told that pears are the best starter food cause it helps keep things good. Sure enough my son is now pooping at least once a day. Sometimes it's just a little marble and sometimes its more. Sorry I don't have anything else to add

If you are really concerned there is no harm in giving the doc a call.

My lo only gets solids at dinner and bls here and there

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

My first thought would be to offer only fruits like pears and up the amount BM for a couple of days. Maybe even prunes. 12 days seems like quite awhile to me. I'd try to give things a shove, to get moving in the right direction In my opinion, if your LO starts to feel uncomfortable at all, I'd call the Dr. at that point.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Thanks for the advice! I have been giving him some pears. He really loves bananas so that could be part of it. I gave him some prunes today. If he doesn't go by Monday, I'll take him to the dr, unless he gets uncomfortable before then.
    Mom to Cameron Born 07/23/2011