Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1151575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Pumping chit chat 3

Default Re: Pumping chit chat 3

Does anyone know if taking prenatal vitamins can help with supply? My supply seems to have resurrected itself in the last week and I'm trying to figure out why, so I can keep doing it.
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

kbcross - not sure! But prenatal vitamins certainly can't hurt, so keep taking them.

aprilsmagic - thinking of you!

Update re: pain when pumping - I think what is happening is vasospasms/Reynaud's. I do have a history of Reynaud's in my toes. And I got it in my nipples with pregnant with DD whenever I would get in the swimming pool with DS. Like, got it really bad. Like, it made me cry. If that's what's happening now, it's not that bad, but I certainly don't want it to get that bad. It honestly does make sense. But on Monday I'm meeting with the lactation department at the hospital where I gave birth. I'm a hospital employee and I know they are good. They will confirm that my pump is fine, confirm my flanges fit me fine, watch me pump, and see what they think. The tips of my nipples are slighly blanched for a few seconds after pumping but it resolves quickly. They also tend to turn a purply/black color. I'd hate to have to take medication for this, but I'd also hate to have to stop pumping! We will see. It's just strange because I didn't have any pain with pumping with DS. And nursing doesn't hurt (when she does nurse in her sleep ). This weekend I'll try warm compresses (flax seed packs) before and after pumping to see if it helps. SIGH. This is annoying. But hopefully treatable.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Worknpump, I used Pumpin' Pals with my Purely Yours, but just because I needed bigger flanges. I don't think they worked any different than the Medela 27 mm shields for me, which I also used with my Purely Yours.

I'm not pumping any more, but I know you ladies will understand this: when DH picked up DS from daycare yesterday, they said someone had left the freezer open all night. So all the milk we had there was defrosted and has to be used by tonight. It's 16 oz. total. DS's teacher was really apologetic, and she said she felt so bad because she knows how hard it is to pump that much milk. At the rate DS is taking his milk there, that's about 4 days' worth. I'm going to try to make some muffins with it, but still.
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .

I would be so sad too.

Karin, could AF be returning?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wiggle.bug View Post
    I'm not pumping any more, but I know you ladies will understand this: when DH picked up DS from daycare yesterday, they said someone had left the freezer open all night. So all the milk we had there was defrosted and has to be used by tonight. It's 16 oz. total. DS's teacher was really apologetic, and she said she felt so bad because she knows how hard it is to pump that much milk. At the rate DS is taking his milk there, that's about 4 days' worth. I'm going to try to make some muffins with it, but still.
    That's horrible. How did they manage to leave the freezer open?? Don't they have alarms for things like that?

Supply is back to its old (not great) level today -- guess it wasn't the vitamin after all. (Definitely still taking the vitamin though.)

Susan, I have no idea what is up with AF -- I spotted for about a month when DS was 6-7 months old but nothing at all since then. So who knows?
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

I got my Ameda PY last Wednesday. I need the 30.5mm flanges. I gave it a whirl and not too bad, considering that it has been at least 3yrs since I've pumped. I've taken to pumping 2x a day to donate milk to my friend with IGT.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    It would make life much easier to not pump. I'd get to sleep in and could go to bed early if I wanted to!
    I know just what you mean! Now that the summer's in full swing, we're taking walks together and planning all sorts of adventures. I really really miss giving Emily my milk (and her tummy misses it, even if she doesn't really notice), but I couldn't imagine giving up the 2 extra hours in my day now. As far as sleeping more, I noticed I don't sleep as soundly now that I've stopped puming. Oxytocin? Or was it pure exhaustion before?

You've almost made it to your goal!!
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Yes. And I may have to stop then. My cycle is getting worse and worse with every one. It incapacitated me this month for about 72 hours. I can't keep going like that. So I'm thinking about dropping the AM session -- -all 1/2 oz -- and then seeing where that goes and making an appointment with my midwife. I'm old enough to be in perimenopause, a prime cause of menstrual migraine, etc. no mood swings, just horrible physical issues, way worse than even puberty. I hadn't planned to do BCP again, but I may have to.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kbcross View Post
    That's horrible. How did they manage to leave the freezer open?? Don't they have alarms for things like that?
    The freezer is kept locked, so whoever left it open didn't lock it, either. I'm guessing it had to be someone in the infant room, since my DS is the only one in the toddler room getting breastmilk. So, I know it's one of three people...

I gave DS 4 oz. in a sippy that night at dinner. He took a drink, looked at me, and knocked it over. I set it back up right, and he knocked it over again. 'Nuff said. We made muffins with the rest: a batch of blueberry and a batch of pumpkin. I have a dairy protein sensitivity and can't have cow's milk in baked goods, so I wasn't sure if I would be okay with the muffins. But I had one, just to test, and was totally fine. They're yummy
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .

I think I'm done. I'll write more later...Gavin is sleeping on top of me. I'm in an awkward position.
    Susan