Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Pumping chit chat 3

Default Re: Pumping chit chat 3

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I thnk you should go UP a size.

How old is she now?
    She is 3 months old now. I was so hoping for a "normal" nursing experience after doing all that pumping with DS but I suppose this is "normal" for her and I'm just trying to hang in there!

I'll try the 30mm and see if that makes a difference.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

There are quite a few moms recently posting similar experiences, and they hung in there and now their babies are nursing just fine.

Maybe change bottles to one that is harder to nurse from, or even a sippy cup.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes, I've followed some of their threads. It's reassuring to know other babies have the same quirks as mine . I plan to try and be more stubborn than her!

I've been using two types of bottles with her - the plain old Medela bottles and slow-flow nipples that come with the PIS and/or the Avent with slow-flow nipples. She seems to finish the bottles in about the same time as a good long nursing session (she's really fast at nursing and I have a fast flow). But the Medela nipples are annoying because they collapse and the nipple gets stuck inside. Don't seem to have this problem with the Avent. I can also pump directly into the Avent with the pump adapter so that's a plus. I tried the Comotomo (seemed way too slow and I can't pump directly into them) and the Medela Calma (way too fast!) also.

903 ounces donated.

I'd still try different bottles. I pump into one kind and use others. Annoying, yes, but a) I HAD to, as my baby could not use a bottle and B) once he could use a bottle, I wanted to mimic breastfeeding as closely as possible. What about a Breastflow?

The idea is to make nursing seem more appealing.

And I simply told my babies, hey, mom is here. No bottles. One preferred bottles, but that was what I did to overcome nipple preference.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I'll certainly try other bottles. I have a Breastflow but haven't tried it yet. The odd thing is that this "refusing to nurse while awake" thing started BEFORE she ever even got a bottle. Weired, huh? She was almost 10 weeks old before we even offered a bottle and her quirky nursing behaviors started around 7 weeks.

903 ounces donated.

That is weird. Do you ave a OALD?
    Susan

I know. Weird! I've been racking my brain and no one can say that I haven't tried to figure this out. I've tried EVERYTHING. I do have a little OALD but it's calmed down now. I wonder if now that the fast flow has calmed down and my OS is under control she is irritated that the flow is slower? I dunno. She nurses fine while sleeping (and sometimes as she's falling asleep and we're nursing laying down).

Sometimes she fusses with bottles, too. Interestingly, this weekend, I offered her a bottle while she was in her bouncy seat. It may have just been a coincidence, but she didn't fuss at all. She's not a spitter, but I wonder if she has a little silent reflux (she used to fuss at the END of nursing sessions). I wonder if being in a more upright position in the bouncy seat allowed her to feed more comfortably (as opposed to a cradle hold like nursing and traditional bottle feeding). Maybe I can hang my boob over her while she's in the bouncy seat?!? Really though, perhaps whens he's a little older and can sit upright on her own we could nurse while she is sitting up?? That's why I'm trying to hang in there even while doing all this pumping - holding on to the hope that things may change and we can re-connect down the road.

903 ounces donated.

Anyone have any feedback on "Pumpin Pals?"

http://www.pumpinpal.com/index.htm

903 ounces donated.

Hated them. Like every time I used them, everything I pumped ended up in my lap. Waste of money for me.
    Susan

I see the writing on the wall for the AM session. Tuesday, I got up and took my pump with me, planning to pump at the new house after swim team. Well, I got there and got a call from the bank, and they had messed some papers up, so thy wanted to come to the house. OK...but then I didn't get to pump at all that day. So I noticed less and less...and AF is on the way. I got 1/2 oz this morning. Total.

Next Wednesday makes 18 months of EPing. I might drop the AM session. He is basically day weaned anyway. I get a total of 4 oz a day anyway. Not hardly anything.

It would make life much easier to not pump. I'd get to sleep in and could go to bed early if I wanted to!
    Susan