Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859606162 LastLast

Thread: Pumping chit chat 3

Default Re: Pumping chit chat 3

So I have now killed 2 pumps. One was my sisters that she used for like 3 mon EPing and the other was a close friends that she used for like 6 months while at work. I am not sure if I want to buy a new pump or just rent one for 2-4 months. I guess I am going to have to look into cost of it. Or hope that this week DH can take them apart and make on good one out of the 2 of them.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

So how's everyone doing? This thread has been so quiet!
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

I had a major scare last night. The Limerick uses a filter to keep the milk out of the pump if milk is accidentally sucked up into the tubes. Well, something happened, my bottles fell and sucked milk into the filter.

It was my last filter.

I had told myself that if this happened, it was done. Immediately.

But I sobbed. Like almost a nervous breakdown sob. I want to quit on my terms, not from equipment failure. So I looked at the filter, shook out what I could and kept going. I ordered two more filters, and hopefully those will get me to?? My goal was 18 months, 6 months short of what I believe a child should have, but 18 more months of pumping than I ever thought I would ever do. But since they were horribly expensive, I might find myself pumping until they are toast or he is 2.

Supply stinks though. I'm down to 1 oz in the AM and 2 in the evening. It gets less and less every cycle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan I am sorry this has been such a roller coaster for you. You are a very strong mama. I dont think I could ever make it that long pumping.

I am plugging along, hoping the pump is going to keep going for the next month. I have enough in the freezer to do daycare bottles for a month, so if the pump last past 11 months I will highly consider pump weaning. I was originally planning on pumping till about 14 months but we will have to see what happens now.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Susan, I'm so sorry. With all the effort that you've put into pumping, it makes perfect sense that you'd want to quit on your own terms, and not because something went wrong with the pump. I'm glad you decided to get more filters!
    Karin
    mom to Miles (9/7/11)

I hope they get here today. This one looks a bit scuzzy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hi LLLadies. Just popping in on this thread since I've been doing LOTS of pumping lately. DD will only nurse while asleep and while this was working for a while, it's gettin trickier and tricker to feed her. I've gone back to work FT anyways. So, I'm mostly pumping all day (about 6 or 7 pumping sessions) and able to nurse her right after she goes to bed, then nursing (dreamfeeding) once or twice during the night. So that equals about 9 or 10 pumping/nursing sessions per day.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread or if I should start a new one...but I'm been having some pain with pumping the last few days. I wonder if I need to re-evaluate my flange fit. With DS (when I EP for him until he was a year when he stopped nursing at about 6 months) I used the 27 mm flanges with my PIS and had no problems. So I don't know why they wouldnt fit now. I can't tell if they're too small or too big. My nipples are average size I guess, but I think maybe my areolas are very small. When pumping, my nipples swell and enlongate so that it's difficult to distinguish the nipple from the areola. It appears as though the majority of the areolas are getting sucked into the tube of the flanges, which I assume is not good. Should I try going back down to the 24mm? I was also thinking about going into my local breastfeeding/pumping store and asking them to watch me pump and see what they think. It's just odd because I didn't have any pain with pumping several years ago with DS.

I sure wish DD would just nurse when I am home when she's AWAKE! Sigh. I'm hopeful that someday she will. In the meantime I just treasure our dreamfeeds.

Thanks!!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

It's pretty common for moms to go up and down with flange size during their pumping times.

Are you even pumping on weekends? YUCK.
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    It's pretty common for moms to go up and down with flange size during their pumping times.

Are you even pumping on weekends? YUCK.
    YES I'm pumping on weekends. It's a drag. But I'm hopeful that her weird nursing behaviors may change. I dunno. With a toddler at home too it was just getting impossible to be away from him long enough to get DD to sleep to the point where she will nurse (she has to be in between a light sleep and a really deep sleep - it's really crazy). But I pumped for a long time with DS (flow preferance issue) and I will do it for her if I have do. Fortunately with both kids I am able to pump quite a bit more than they consume so I'm fortunate for that. It's just a shame because she really is a champion nurser, and we had no issues at all except for this one that started about a month ago.

I should mention that I am rubbing on the sides of the flanges, but like I said I think it's because most of my areolas are sucked in. Maybe I should go back down?
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I thnk you should go UP a size.

How old is she now?
    Susan