Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumping chit chat 3

Default Re: Pumping chit chat 3

I did, but I had no idea that it could affect milk supply. It was in October- I don't remember a dip then related to giving blood. I felt fine afterward.

. . .I did it for the 1/2 off oil change

Totally not trying to be a jerk or anything Erin, just sharing what my experience was.

i debated about it myself. i think it would be ok, i just am super cautious, esp with my body and nursing. so thats why i would say no, but it is debatable

you katia!

Awww thanks!

Elizabethrae, I would definitely make sure to eat lots of snacks if you do decide to do it, since lactating does take alot out of you. And be careful about giving out your phone number- the Red Cross calls me about 5 times a week . . . lol!

hereis some info

I was away from Sam for the first time and pumped all weekend. I thought of you llladies

Interesting about blood donation. never knew it was an issue.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I had a really good pumping day, despite AF being here, and now it's really low again
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh dear. Had a new security guy at the checkpoint this morning.

'maam, is there something mechanical in there?'

"yes. Yes there is."

"I need to see that."

So I opened the front part of the pump bag, figuring if I opened the top I didn't need everybody ogling the parts and hoses and collection bottles.

"um." looks puzzled.

Line building up behind me. Several people craning their necks to see what this is all about.

"maam, I don't know what that is."

So yeah, I had to explain my breast pump to an older big burly looking dude in front of a crowd of about a dozen techie nerds. One of them got in the elevator with me and asked "WHAT was in there, again?" Yeah, that sure made me feel comfortable.

Not that I'm embarrassed by it, and the poor security guy was mortified and felt bad for asking, but sheesh. Nothing more awesome than having random programmers in a building full of guys who have never seen boobs point at you as the "chick who milks herself."

Yikes, that's a scary experience. I'm done with my last trip with my pump now, thankfully. I was always so afraid they would make me dump my milk, would take my Medela freezer pack or some other horror story...

Last month I was going out of O'Hare airport where they actually employ people to stand at the archways to the security corridor and stop people that they perceive as taking too many carry-on bags (more than 2). I had gotten used to telling them it was a breast pump, but that time there was a lady there that they were making put her purse inside another carry-on. Then in the security line she immediately got on her cell phone to complain to a friend that "there's a woman right in front of me who has THREE bags." I turned around and broke into her conversation to say that it's a breast pump and that my purse was inside my carry-on as well. She had the decency to look sheepish at least...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

I'm pretty sure pump weaning really affected my supply. Not to the point where DS was dehydrated or anything, but he really stepped up solids and water, and he doesn't nurse very much during the day (10-5) when he's with me on the weekends. I was with him from last Wednesday until Sunday, and I wasn't uncomfortably full when he got home from daycare yesterday like I had been the week before. So, my body is definitely adjusting. It's probably normal, but it's just weird not to have him nursing all the time on the weekends, especially because his two lower incisors are coming in.

Goldentoes, sorry about your experience. As for being the "chick who milks herself," someone on one of the earlier threads described it as her "superpower." As, "I make milk, what can you do?"

Marley-n-emily, good for you for speaking up! I probably would have just fumed about it but not said anything. Then again, I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of people making snide comments behind my back, so maybe I would have. But I will remember your courage when I am faced with similar situations in the future!
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    That is because PY and Medela horns are not compatible.
    The 30mm shields for the PY come with inserts to make them 27 so thought I'd see if i could shove the 30mm medelas in there. That was a big, fat, no. I'm going to see if I can sell it & replace it with something else. Or just keep using the Harmony. Squeezed out 14 oz in 8 hrs pumping 3 times for 20 min/each. During 12 hours with the PY I can barely manage 10! & with all new parts. Seems like you have to hold your mouth just right to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    someone i know went straight to basically EPing this time. not quite sure but she said she was pumping. because she gets plugged ducts and like to know how many oz, the dr likes to know how many oz. i tried to encourage her but think it was falling on deaf ears
    have her read some of these threads!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elizabethlarae View Post
    Can I donate blood without it affecting my supply?
    we did at the end of December & it seemed to take a huge toll on my supply even though nursing is not a contraindication. but, that was a major nursing strike, it was almost 4 months so supply was evening out, & i was exercising too much. I know I went from 4 oz every time on the right to <1 oz every time on the right the day after we gave blood. don't know if it's related & pretty sure it was a combo of all.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*goldentoes View Post
    the "chick who milks herself."
    i have also been referred to as this. what a great feeling working with a bunch of men. had one guy drop my pump (symphony in the case) after he asked what it was & why I was always carrying it around.