Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumping chit chat 3

Default Re: Pumping chit chat 3

Hey ladies! I am new here but was hoping for some advice/assistance from those more seasoned then me. I am a working mom of a beautiful 4 month old little girl who spends her days with a stay at home mom who bf'd her children so she is very understanding. I leave Claire with her from 7:15-5:15 each day. I try to nurse right before I take her and as soon as she gets home and while shes at dc she eats anywhere from 8-15 oz depending on the day. At work I pump at least every three hours with a PISA if not every two. my mornings are usually better ranging from 4-6 oz and it dwindles as the day goes on and I average about 12 oz a day total. This is down from 18-20 when I first started back to work in January. I am now unable to stash any. I *think* the one big change is that I stopped getting up at 2:30 to pump. I did this when Claire started sleeping a lot better and now I think I may need to again but its terribly hard on me as Claire's sleeping habbits have taken a turn for the worse and she is up every 2 hours to nurse. I am drinking a ton of water and a couple of cups of mothers milk tea a day, eating as much oatmeal as I can and I do compressions durring each pump session, I have replaced my valves and membranes and am using pumpin pals which have helped me last week. I guess my question is - am I producing enough each day? I seem to be keeping Claire satisfied (and shes a happy camper in the evenings who nurses every hour until bed time and then its every two) but I feel really bad that I cant get a freezer stash built. Is a 2-3am pump my only option to boost this supply? I pump once or twice on weekends and save fridays milk for monday and seem to jsut scrape by every week

I LOVE breastfeeding Claire and know it is THE best thing I can do for her but the stress of pumping is totally getting to me and I fear that is hurting my supply as well. I guess any words of wisdom, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome, KMoore!

I'm an EP mama, so I didn't have the benefit of the nightime nursing. I pumped in the middle of the night until Emily was a little over 8 months old and then I started taking the nights off. When I was home for the first 3 months with Emily, I had a bit of a freezer stash started, then once I started back to work my supply tapered off and Emily's consumption went up as she grew. I didn't have a stash until just recently as she's started to take less and less (she's 17 months now). If you're producing enough for your daughter every day, I really wouldn't worry about building a stash. I think it makes us feel better and it's like an extension of nesting instinct, but it's really not necessary, particularly if she's happily nursing at night at home.

I do take Fenugreek (12/day) and Marshmallow (9/day) and they have really helped me keep my supply up!
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

My supply is down. Yesterday I only pumped 8oz and baby takes around 11oz a day. I ate oatmeal this am (despite the fact that I do not like it) and increasing my fluids today. I have fenugreek at home but want to save that as a last resort because I hate the maple syrup smell it gives me. I do compressions while pumping and don't seem to have trouble with letdowns. I nurse when not working and cosleep. Any other suggestions as to how to up my supply? I will take what I pump this morning by when I go home for lunch so she won't have to use any from the freezer and I am planning in pumping a couple times this weekend to get ahead a little. This is so frustrating/stressful!

Well it is defiantly going around. I have been MIA because me and the dude are both sick. I am starting to get better.

Supply is down AGAIN, I am working a night pump back into the mix to help with that.

Today is the dudes half birthday!!! We have made it half way to our goal. WOO HOO
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kmoore611 View Post
    Hey ladies! I am new here but was hoping for some advice/assistance from those more seasoned then me. I am a working mom of a beautiful 4 month old little girl who spends her days with a stay at home mom who bf'd her children so she is very understanding. I leave Claire with her from 7:15-5:15 each day. I try to nurse right before I take her and as soon as she gets home and while shes at dc she eats anywhere from 8-15 oz depending on the day. At work I pump at least every three hours with a PISA if not every two. my mornings are usually better ranging from 4-6 oz and it dwindles as the day goes on and I average about 12 oz a day total. This is down from 18-20 when I first started back to work in January. I am now unable to stash any. I *think* the one big change is that I stopped getting up at 2:30 to pump. I did this when Claire started sleeping a lot better and now I think I may need to again but its terribly hard on me as Claire's sleeping habbits have taken a turn for the worse and she is up every 2 hours to nurse. I am drinking a ton of water and a couple of cups of mothers milk tea a day, eating as much oatmeal as I can and I do compressions durring each pump session, I have replaced my valves and membranes and am using pumpin pals which have helped me last week. I guess my question is - am I producing enough each day? I seem to be keeping Claire satisfied (and shes a happy camper in the evenings who nurses every hour until bed time and then its every two) but I feel really bad that I cant get a freezer stash built. Is a 2-3am pump my only option to boost this supply? I pump once or twice on weekends and save fridays milk for monday and seem to jsut scrape by every week

I LOVE breastfeeding Claire and know it is THE best thing I can do for her but the stress of pumping is totally getting to me and I fear that is hurting my supply as well. I guess any words of wisdom, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated!
    hi there. you are definitely producing enough. with bottles they drink more so it is very frustrating. but you can do it.

i would recommend doing some hand expression after each pump, that would increase overall supply. also nurse whenever you can.

maybe fit in an extra session on days you are off, like right after the first nursing, just to collect some extra for the freezer.

if you go a few pages back on here susan just made a list of things to try.

KMoore Welcome to the party.

As for supplements and such I am no help I can not take them.

You are doing a lot of good things for your supply, and it is normal for it balance out after a while.

I personally pump before I go to bed. W sleeps the longest in the 1st stretch, about 1.5-2hr after he goes to bed I pump. I might only get 1.5-2 oz but that might be just what you want extra to get a small freezer stash.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I can't believe that I made it to a year! I'm just going to pump twice today. It's so nice that the "pressure" is off.
    ~ Megan

Mommy to Alex (born 2/27/11) and Katie (born 3/31/14)

Welcome, KMoore! I have a couple questions: is there a reason you are still trying to build a stash? How much do you have stashed already? You really don't need a huge freezer stash, so you might be okay. Also, how does what you produce over the week match what your daughter drinks at daycare? I used to have days where I'd produce a little less, and some days where I'd produce more, but if I looked at the week as a whole, I was producing exactly what DS was drinking. If I am looking at your numbers right, you might be okay: if you are consistently pumping 12, and one day your daughter eats 8 oz. but the next 15, you've pumped 24 oz. in those two days, and she drank 23 oz. So, you'd still be covered. If you do want to boost your supply, I also recommend checking out the list a few pages back. As for supplements, I took Motherlove More Milk Plus and More Milk Special Blend, and those work for me (along with eating oatmeal every morning).

Klisti, I hope you and your little guy are feeling better!

Megan, isn't it an awesome feeling? Congratulations!

Last night, I spilled part of a bottle of milk. It was one of the bottles that came with the Affinity, and it fell out of the fridge and the middle part of the top popped right out. Grrr. I much prefer the bottles that came with the Purely Yours, where the inside ring for the bottle goes under the screw cap, or better yet, the Medela tops, which are one piece. And the little plastic part that popped out is now lost somewhere in my kitchen. DH made the whole "don't cry over spilled milk" comment, and I may have responded a bit harshly.

Today's pumping was average, but I have enough for tomorrow. And the bonus of DS only taking sippy cups at daycare now: no extra bottles and nipples to wash! I can just send the bottles I pump into. Great Scot, I never realized how much washing up time that would save!!!
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

welcome to kmoore!

congrats to Megan for making it a year!

s to everyone else!

Yet another cute Connor tidbit. Now when we are in the tub together and I say "where does the milk come from?" he points to my breast

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elizabethlarae View Post
    My supply is down. Yesterday I only pumped 8oz and baby takes around 11oz a day. I ate oatmeal this am (despite the fact that I do not like it) and increasing my fluids today. I have fenugreek at home but want to save that as a last resort because I hate the maple syrup smell it gives me. I do compressions while pumping and don't seem to have trouble with letdowns. I nurse when not working and cosleep. Any other suggestions as to how to up my supply? I will take what I pump this morning by when I go home for lunch so she won't have to use any from the freezer and I am planning in pumping a couple times this weekend to get ahead a little. This is so frustrating/stressful!
    Check your pump and make sure it is working right, has new membranes, etc, and give it time. It can take a week or so to come back up. I'd do the fenugreek or blessed thistle myself.
    Are your horns the right size?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!