Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Pumping chit chat 3

Default Re: Pumping chit chat 3

My supply is low again But I've been kind of sick and taking steroids for my asthma -- I have a very mild cold, but it's affecting my lungs -- and I wonder if that has anything to do with it. But I only got 5 oz this morning (and I usually get 12) and now it looks like I'm only getting 8 tonight. Took fenugreek and blessed thistle this morning and will take more tonight. I was going to pump today during the day, but work was nutty and I didn't get home until 6, and then it was time to cook, then clesn, then bed for kids...so I never got a chance.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

katia, what is soy lecthin?

susan i was just a little sick the past few days and my supply tanked. you sound like you've got something yucky even if it feels mild.

I got 7 this morning We will see later.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    katia, what is soy lecthin?
    I'm not really sure! lol. I think it is used in candy bars as an emulsifier to prevent it from sticking to the wrapper. I bought some capsules awhile back and they seem to help with clogs. I just don't use them anymore because I can't be bothered. Can't hurt right?

Notime to work in more pumping. I think I'm just going to pretend this is natural weaning and see where it goes. I'm sure I won't dip below 12 oz a day, which is fine.
    Susan

so susan i was thinking of starting to compile that list about how to improve output. i actually copied something you posted in the pumping thread. what should we add?

Hands free bra so you can do compressions and massage.

Check the size of your horns.

Replace valves and membranes.

obviously, if you dont have time, no worries

Pump more often. You may need to pump every 2 hours instead of every 2-4.

Leave everything set up to save yourself time.

Herbs

Oatmeal, brown rice, chickpeas

Alter the settings on your pump back to the stimulation phase so you can try for another letdown

Power pump

Rent a hospital grade pump for a few weeks; some moms don't respond to one type of pump but do better with another

Don't get frustrated; it takes time to increase supply

Above all, don't measure your production by pumping output. Baby is much more effective than any pump. If baby is having adequate wet diapers and when stool is produced it looks normal,meverything is fine. The ONLY mother who should think she has low supply is the EPing mother, because she will not benefit from baby's stimulation.

But yes, it's stressful to be a working mom who can't pump enough, but that doesn't mean to quit nursing or to supplement at home. Nurse more at home. That is also good for supply.
    Susan

nice susan!!
    chickpeas?! i didn't know that!

happy monday everyone

Hoppy craft beer ;-) Not AT work lol.

Adding sessions to/from work, even if you just nursed.

Not making bottles bigger than 4 oz. Using the "right" bottles, with slow nipples.

Don't be a clean freak. Wash up everything once.

Hand express after you pump.

Ok not all of those are "increasing supply" but tips nonetheless.

My supply sucks too. I am sick. Connor is sick too, which makes me want to pump more to avoid cow's milk and it's pleghm producing qualities.

Mtmama, I understand the mixed feelings about pump weaning. I thought I'd go through the end of the school year and then gradually pump wean this summer. But DS isn't taking bottles at daycare like he used to, and he's transitioning to the toddler room right now, so I don't know what's going to happen. If he only takes one bottle/sippy cup, it seems kind of pointless to keep pumping enough to provide him with 2. As for soy lecthin, a lactation consultant recommended it for me after I had problem with blebs. She said it makes the milk proteins shorter, so the milk is less thick. At least, that's what I remember. I have no idea if that's right, but I haven't had problems with clogged ducts or blebs since I started taking it. I didn't have serious issues before, though.

Megan, food poisoning is horrible. I hope you are feeling better!

Katia and Susan, I hope you are feeling better, too.

I probably have over 6 oz. from the first 13 minutes of pumping. DS basically didn't nurse this morning after he got up. I offered, but he was too interested in playing!
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.