Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green poop in BF infant

Default Green poop in BF infant

A quick question......my 3 month old (7 wks corrected) is almost EBF. He does get 1 bottle of formula at night with vitamins in it. His poops are primarily greenish, not the yellow that they were early on. Is this from the 1 bottle of formula? I read in another post that green can mean he is not getting enough fatty milk. He is gaining weight fast and has plenty of wet diapers. I do have quite a stash of freezer milk, should I put his vitamins in a bottle of BM instead? The only reason I havent been is because I want to have plenty of milk available for when we are done BF, that way he can continue to have the benefits longer. Im a little bit of a BM hoarder

Default Re: Green poop in BF infant

Read this

http://drjaygordon.com/pediatricks/general/poop.html

Green poop is a normal color, as long as it's not frothy or very foul smelling.

On the other issue, you can continue to pump milk to restock your freezer stash. What is the vitamin need? Why not just nurse? If you absolutely have to give a bottle I would 100% use my milk. The nutritional value of BM of so much more beneficial to baby than formula. It's almost defeating the purpose, in your freezer you have liquid gold...why feed baby a man made synthetic alternative?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

If he's gaining weight and wetting enough diapers, he's getting enough to eat. There are several reasons why a breastfed baby can have green stools, including:
    - Not getting enough to eat, obviously not a problem for your LO.
    - Lactose overload from consuming too much "foremilk", often a problem for moms with milk oversupply and forceful letdowns. Not the same as lactose intolerance, but often mistakenly believed to be the same.
    - Allergy/intolerance to something in mom's diet. Proteins from cow's milk are a common culprit. Also not the same as lactose intolerance, but often mistakenly believed to be the same.
    - Illness.
    - Something the baby is eating other than breast milk. Formula can produce grey-green, rather nasty-smelling poops. The vitamins could also be a culprit, since they often contain dyes.

They easiest possible cause to eliminate is the formula. Is the formula something you want to keep using, or do you have a goal of being 100% EBF?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Our ped says that he needs the vitamin d and iron in the vitamins. He was 6 weeks early and has been getting Poly-vi-sol since he started taking feeds by mouth. If I try to just squirt them into his mouth he spits them everywhere (they smell horrible and I feel too bad to do this). I do have about 300 oz of BM in the freezer. When is the best time to pump? He nurses every 2 hrs on average during the day and I was worried that if I pumped and then he wanted to nurse soon after I wouldnt have enough milk for a feeding? Sometimes if he sleeps well during the night I have enough milk in the morning to feed off of 1 side and pump the other but the rest of the day he feeds off of both sides.

In general Babies do not need vitamin D supplements ( I feel the same way about iron but I've never had a preemie so I don't know about that). Here is a great link

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

Does your baby get a few minutes outdoors? If you give yourself supplements and take baby outside minimally the levels are usually enough. BM's level of the vitamins may be low but they are absorbed by baby at a high level. The link is very useful.

As for pumping, many mothers find their supply to be highest in the mornings due to hormone levels. Because you are only pumping for vitamins I would try to pump like 1 oz only per day, no need for a full bottle, you should be able to do that after baby nurses and not create an over supply.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language

with Jenna. Instead of doing poly-vi-sol, which does taste foul and stains, to boot, you could give your baby D-drops and iron drops. The D-drops, according to my toddler, are "num!" I give them to her only in the winter and only on days when we don't get outside. I probably would give an iron supplement, since I have read that iron stores aren't complete until late in the 3rd trimester.

What's your goal with pumping? 300 oz of breastmilk stashed in the freezer is an awful lot. If you're not going back to work, I'd probably cut out the pumping or keep it to an as-needed minimum. If you are going back to work, then I think I'd pump just once a day for now, probably in the morning as Jenna suggested.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks I will try to find just the vitamin d drops and the iron drops. I don't really have a goal for pumping, and there are a lot of days when I don't pump at all, I just like having a lot in case I need it......most of it I pumped when I was supplementing with formula, we are now down to just one bottle at night and I am going to stop that too.

Awesome, mama. You don't need the formula, not with 300 oz in the freezer. It sounds to me like you're keeping that cushion for the sense of security it gives you, but it doesn't sound like you really need it.

good Plan! I hear you on the security of a freezer stash though! Now that my youngest is almost one my stash is down to like 15 oz :nervous but for no reason...I will be fine!
    My Boy 3-16-10

Watch Your Language