Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Rough nursing!

Default Rough nursing!

First let me say thank you ladies for the good support here... I have found this site and info so helpful!

Anyway, my son is a rough nurser: pinches, yanks on nipple while nursing, straightens his arms so pull back (while latched!), kicks... all during nursing. Usually it's before the letdown but now he has started doing in throughout all nursing sessions. It is less at night when I believe he is not totally awake.

I have tried a nursing necklace and other objects but he just gets distracted with it and won't even latch because he wants to play. The pulling has started a bad habit of a shallow latch on one side and when I try and relatch, at times he cries so much, he won't try to nurse any more during that session.

I want him to nurse as much as possible as he is 8 months and doesn't eat much in the way of solids at all. I know these are bad habits but how do I put a stop to them (or lessen them) without having him stop nursing?

Default Re: Rough nursing!

Have you tried nursing him in a dark, quiet location? With older babies, distraction can be your enemy, as you know! You might try holding his hand while he nurses. It stops the pinching etc., and is less distracting than a necklace.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree with PP.

Also, try nursing in a baby carrier (boba, ergo, mei tai, woven wrap). Mine squirms less when he's in there -- it helps him focus and he doesn't have the free range of motion due to being in the carrier ...so I don't have to physically hold him in the right spot if he's being wiggly. Very important when they're 8+ mos!
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

A dark room with no distractions is virtually impossible as I have a 2 year old running around the house full of energy! I might have to look at a baby carrier. I have a moby wrap so maybe that will work. Gotta find it first!

Thank you!

Good luck! From my experience, you may find the Moby has too much give for your 8mo...especially a wiggly one. Make sure to wrap tightly. If the Moby falls short, definitely look into other options for carriers ...
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!