Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Forceps baby, latching problems....

Default Forceps baby, latching problems....

I so need some help right now!! Having gone through the distress of it and now the determination to change it... although I have ups and downs on my positivity and frustration!

My forceps baby, born 8 ish days ago (30th Jan), won't latch to the breast and worse, is now attached to the finger/pipette for feeding. She has already had some cranial osteopathy to help head/neck which has made her more comfy.

My big question is how do I get her to the breast from the finger pipetting. Just keep perservering or has anyone got any useful advise that I haven't thought of yet or figured out?

She has become a little lazy about sucking at the nipple because the finger delivers quite readily. She gets frustrated and distressed at the nipple because she can't make the giant leap from opening her mouth a little wider and getting hold of the nipple and sucking. She was distressed around the nipple courtesy of some rough handling to latching via the midwives at the hopsital. I have done loads of skin to skin, all co-sleeping, opportunities to latch, had a NCT counseller come and help and clarify positions, etc.

Do I use a line from the nipple? Medena have a lactation aid which I could purchase but this may just be another way of adding to the confusion. Does anyone have latching experience and can help me to figure this out. The baby wants to breastfeed and I want to breastfeed her. What an awful situation for us to have to figure out.... grrrr!! :-)

Default Re: Forceps baby, latching problems....

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby! I'm sorry you're having a rough time so far. You must have had a rough time at birth, too, if your LO ended up being hauled into the light with forceps. Are you doing okay?

I think I would definitely try the lactation aid device. If you can get your baby to associate the breast with food, that's going to be a good thing. And baby actually does have to do some sucking in order to get milk to flow out of the lactation aid, so it's not a simple "lie there and get fed" tool. Aother thing that might help is the "instant reward" technique. Drip a little milk (or formula- I don't know what you're suing right now?) onto the nipple and latch baby on. The taste of food in her mouth may stimulate her to suckle.

Also, here's my favorite link on getting a baby back to the breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I personally preferred the Lact Aid SNS to the Medela SNS.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

This page has a video and info on using a lactation aid from Dr. Jack Newman, see the one called "inserting a lactation aid" this may answer some of your questions about how these work...put the sound on, he says some interesting things about why these are preferable for supplementation. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13

I have a question- besides the two most popular for sale devices, Medela SNS and the Lact-Aid, can't a mom so inclined fashion a homemade one with sterile tubing? Maybe just as a temporary solution or to see how well lactation aid might work in her situation?

The Kellymom article is excellent. I think its important to remember that comfort nursing often comes first, and to keep baby close to you, on you, as much as possible. Have you tried laid back positioning? This type of positioning helps facilitate baby to more or less 'self latch' (mom can help as needed!) and plus is very comfortable for tired moms. Interestingly, Suzanne Colson (who researched and defined laid back positioning) found that the position mom and baby were in was much more important in fostering a good latch and frequent nursing than how clothed or unclothed baby and mom were, in other word, the laid back positioning (mom reclined, as much or as little as she is comfortable, but not flat on her back) and baby in a dorsal feeding position (on their own front, usually on top of mom) was found to be more important (for facilitating breastfeeding) than skin to skin contact.

for more, see http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/ and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

My older son was a forceps baby and his jaw was dislocated at birth. We had a whole lot of issues with latch but I agree that the SNS worked so well for us. I never tried finger feeding but the SNS works about the same except using your boob!

Good luck.. forceps are so rough.. if I had known how much damage they can do I would have opted for a different way
    Proud mom of two boys!

DS1- born 1/10/03
    and
    DS2- born 3/8/11

Thank you for your replies. I have had some minor difficulty logging back on but will review the links, some of which I had found already. Thank you for taking the time to post them for me.....

I am fine but frustrated. It was a traumatic experience for all 3 of us; me, baby and partner but that bit is now in the past and I am looking on in a fovial way re the breastfeeding challenge... I knew having first baby would be a challenge but not sure that I bargained for this litte ecapade!!!!!!

I am liking the kellymom idea about breast for nurturing before feeding and have redressed that balance. The medena SNS came this morning so will look at that this evening Saw the clip the other day of Dr Newman and its making sense to me about the baby sucking better than receiving from the pipette. I also have a breast shield which I am holding in reserve fr if/when it seems appropriate to experiment with that.

I am still perplexed as to how to get her to attach at all to the nipple in order to suck in order to get the reward from the SNS but maybe we will figure that out. Occasionally she gets hold of the nipple, albeit not very well and sucks 3 or 4 times before she throws the towel in - maybe that would be enough for a starter. On the finger she has excellent latching so it really is just a case of transposing that skill on.

I will keep posting and welcome your comments and help.... thank you again.

JoJoMama.... x

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jojomama View Post
    she gets hold of the nipple, albeit not very well and sucks 3 or 4 times before she throws the towel in - maybe that would be enough for a starter.
    I think the SNS/Lact-aid would be really helpful in this situation. If she's throwi in the towel because she thinks the nipple doesn't reward fast enough, the SNS would solve that problem by delivering an immediate reward, hypothetically inducing baby to suck more. After that, you slowly take away the SNS, and transition to using the breast exclusively.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"