Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: already losing supply?

Default Re: already losing supply?

find the forum you want to post in (probably, pumping) and at the top there's a gray button that says "post new thread". good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

What kind of pump is it?
    Does it have new membranes?

Bear in mind a baby needs 1 to 1.5 oz per hour of separation from mom. So it's not that bad. If you work 8 hour days, 4 oz is almost halfway there.

Click the start new thread gray box at the top of the forum
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks Susan. It is a Medela n style. Membranes are only a wk old and yesterday I was able to only pump 7.5 oz in 8-9 hrs approx if I count the drive back and forward home. For some reason this forum doesn't actually provide me the option to start a new forum but I'll keep looking until I find out the way to finally do it. To my question should I pump between my baby meals when she eats every 2-3 hours while I'm at home? I am afraid that if I do it she won't get enought when I breastfeed her.

My experience has gotten much better. I think now that I have been back to work for a few weeks I am in a good groove. I have been very successful with getting enough (about 3-5oz during each of my 3 pumping sessions at work). I think once you get into a good schedule pumping at work, all the kinks will work themselves out. At first I was pumping every two hours and only getting about 2-3oz. Now I am able to go every 3 hours and get, most times, about 4-5oz each time. I did try Fenugreek for a couple of weeks and saw a pretty good increase but decided that I don't really need to increase since baby gets choked sometimes with my OA letdown and without I am getting pretty much what he needs on a daily basis. I do pump twice at night though. He has been sleeping through the night (from about 8pm-7am) for about a month now, so I don't have the luxury of night feedings so I pump at about 10 or 11pm before I go to bed and then I set an alarm for about 2:30am to pump for a few mintues. Needless to say I have an overabundance of frozen milk in the freezer. So much so that I think I might have to donate some. I tried to cut out the middle of the night pump because I don't really need the extra but thats when I saw a big dip in my supply and started the Fenugreek. Since then I have been doing fine, just wish I could get more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep at a time, but oh well. I hope this helps you out. Keep up hope! It will get better!!!

Good Luck!!!

http://forums.llli.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=39

try clicking this link...it might help you post a new thread.

Glad to hear it has gotten better for you eastonsmommy. I remember going back to work those first couple of days and just feeling panicked because I didn't think I was getting enough. It is hard enough to be separated from baby to have to worry about "making ends meet" with milk. Awesome that you think you'll have enough to donate too! Good deal
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!