Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: already losing supply?

Default already losing supply?

I just started back to work yesterday and have already noticed a dip in the amount I'm pumping. Yesterday was ok, I pumped 3 times (10, 1 & 4) and I got about 4 oz each time but today I pumped 4 times (10, 1, 3 & 5) and only got about 2 - 3 oz each time. I also work retail and I'm alone sometimes so I may not be able to keep this schedule all the time. I'm afraid I'm going to lose my supply quick!!!!! Also, I do not have the luxury of pumping for 20 mins or more, I usually wrap up within 10 mind.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: already losing supply?

What kind of pump? Are you using compressions?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Its a medela pump in style...I iwill say its a bit older but it works fine or it did while I was home and only pumping once or twice a day...

One thing to consider is that it was just one day. Many moms struggle that first day. Some struggle that first week before settling into a groove. So see what happens in the next fee days.

Meanwhile, a few things to try:
    Compressions and massage
    When your milk slows, switch back to a stimulation phase
    Get a hands free bra
    Eat oatmeal for breakfast or a snack
    Brown rice helps some moms
    Consider using some herbs, such as fenugreek, to support your supply a bit.

Pump for 5 minutes past when you stop seeing milk droplets. The reason is that it places a slightly higher demand for milk on your body. A pump isn't as good as your baby, so you have to make the pump work a little harder.

Three times a day is good, but you have to watch your total time.

Change the membranes on your pump if you have not recently done so.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

If you can only pump for 10 minutes, can you add in another session? How about your drive to and from work?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

you didn't say how old your baby is but if you plan on pumping 4 times a day for many months with a pump that has already been used i would invest in a new pump. i am still pumping with a used one and if i could go back in time i would have purchased a new one. i think the motors are built to last for one year of pumping...
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

. A professional grade pump is meant to last about 400 hours, which adds up to about a year for the typical working mom So...if it was hard used before, it might not be adequate to maintain supply in a situation where you are depending on it for half the day (which, basically, is what a working mom is doing, assuming she is still nursing at night on demand).
    Susan

Hey,

How did it finally go? Were you able to increase your daily supply? The reason I am asking is because I find myself in a similar situation right now. I returned to work last Monday and I was happy with the 12oz I was able to pump in just 2 times I did it but that happiness went away yesterday when I was only able to pump half of it. This morning I was only able to get 1oz and I have to say I got frustrated and really wanted to cry. After I deep breathing and joining this site I decide I wouldn't let this situation to win so I went to pump again at lunch and was able to get 4oz more. Here at work I will be able to pump 3 times daily but I am still super concerned about not getting the supply my 2 months baby will need every day. I'm wondering if I should start pumping at nights as well but I am not sure as I still breatfeed my little one every 2 hours when I am at home (just the way she demands it). I hope you can share with me how this experience has been for you during this past month and if maybe you figured out any other tips to overcome the challenge. I honestly didn't thing this was going to be that hard, I breastfeed my older one (now 8yrs old) during 2 yrs the only difference is that I was so lucky that didn't have to pump at all as I only had a part time and it was so close to home I would go do it during my breaks. I don't want to quick and give her formula, I guess I just need hope that things will get better.

No, don't just hope for the best. Look at what you can change! Is your pump right for you and what you need it to do? Are your horns correctly sized? Are you doing compressions? Are you pumping effectively? Can you take oatmeal, brown rice and/or herbs? Are you nursing at night?

Many moms can nurse effectively but have a lot of trouble pumping. But let's troubleshoot and maybe we here can help you pump more. I would suggest starting your own thread, though, so you don't get lost in the shuffle.
    Susan

I think the pump is fine as I was able to pump a lot the 1st 2 times I did and yes I am nursing at nights, she wakes up every 2-3hrs to eat. I will try having oatmeal everyday for breakfast and I'm also planning to get Fenugreek to see if that helps. Do you think I should pump at nights in between my baby meals? and how exactly do I start my own thread?, I know this is silly but I don't know how to do it, to be honest I just registered today and I am still learning to navigate this site. In advance thanks for your support.