Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work with access to baby

Default Returning to work with access to baby

OK, I apologize now if this is super long, just want to give all the details.

DD is 10 weeks old now. She is EBF on demand. I feel blessed to have 4 months maternity leave, so at this point I have a little more than 6 weeks left. I've arranged to start work again on a Thursday and then take the following two Wednesdays off to help us transition back to work. I'm trying to think ahead about how this is all going to work and need some advice since I have a few unique (but good) things that will affect us.

I work at a school as a librarian so I have a pretty flexible schedule even though I do teach classes. Also, by law I get 1 hour lunch, plus until she turns 6 months, I get an additional hour off to breastfeed. I'm also (fingers crosses) going to be hiring a nanny in the next few weeks. I've already pre-approved with my school that I can have the nanny bring DD to school so I can feed her. I also live only 5 minutes from work. I have a car, but the nanny will probably be taking the bus, which is still 5 min.

I will leave the house around 7 and will feed her just before I go. I'm done at 3:30 M-W-F and 4:30 on T-Th.

So here are some questions:

1. How [I]often[I] does baby eat while away from mom? Will she still be eating on demand, just from a bottle/cup?

2. If she comes to school around lunch time every day, how much do you think I will need to pump and leave with the nanny.

3. When should I start pumping as I have not done it at all yet? Also right now I only have a fridge with the freezer inside so I think I can only keep bm frozen in there for 2 weeks. I will hopefully be getting a better fridge/freezer in July.

4.When should I introduce a bottle?

For the first two months back I really have a lot of time to feed her, I'm just not sure how practical it will all be. I do love my job and I want to be there for my students too, but of course my DD is my priority. Any suggestions you all have would be great. We will have just three weeks off in July and when I return I don't get that extra hour off, but I still have permission to bring her to school so I want to keep that in mind when creating our routine also.

Thanks in advanced!

Default Re: Returning to work with access to baby

General guidelines are 1-1.5oz per hour you are away. 7am-3:30pm would be 8.5-13oz (plus another oz or so on 4:30pm days). But if you are nursing over lunch you can reduce that amount by a few ounces.

Has baby taken a bottle yet? You should start with small bottles, say 2oz, before trying larger bottles (or not at all). If you want to leave 12oz, you can leave size 2oz bottles. Or if baby takesn larger bottles, leave 3-4 3-4oz bottles, and maybe another 2oz or so as backup.

You should try pumping twice while at work, once in the morning and once in the afternoon, assuming you nurse over lunch. Have you pumped at all to test it out, get used to it, make some for your first day?

BTW-totally awesome you can feed & see baby everyday at work. I am very jealous! My long commute precludes anything like that!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

1. Baby should continue to be fed on demand. Just make sure you send multiple smaller bottles/bags of milk, so the care provider doesn't give the baby one huge bottle and then expect her to be satisfied for hours and hours- which she may not be!

2. w/ the PP. 1-1.5 oz/hour.

3. Start pumping now, so you can get on the learning curve before going back to work. Many moms start by pumpng 1x per day, often first thing in the morning after the baby nurses. Many moms feel that mornings are when they have the most extra milk.

4. Now. Have someone other than you offer the bottle, as most babies are reluctant to take bottles from mom, who has the "real thing" just inches away! And remember to pump when you successfully give a bottle, to keep supply and demand in sync.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juno View Post
    Where do you live?
    I live in Brazil. They have some pretty amazing employee laws here.

Omg... So gorgeous there!!!! And sooooo jealous!!!
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    1. Baby should continue to be fed on demand. Just make sure you send multiple smaller bottles/bags of milk, so the care provider doesn't give the baby one huge bottle and then expect her to be satisfied for hours and hours- which she may not be!

2. w/ the PP. 1-1.5 oz/hour.

3. Start pumping now, so you can get on the learning curve before going back to work. Many moms start by pumpng 1x per day, often first thing in the morning after the baby nurses. Many moms feel that mornings are when they have the most extra milk.

4. Now. Have someone other than you offer the bottle, as most babies are reluctant to take bottles from mom, who has the "real thing" just inches away! And remember to pump when you successfully give a bottle, to keep supply and demand in sync.
    Since she well be breastfeeding in the middle of the day, instead of taking a bottle, will this effect how much she does take from a bottle in between. Or should I just plan on the 1 to 1.5 oz over the whole time and see what she ends up taking.