Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fussy/gassy/grunting baby, every morning

Default fussy/gassy/grunting baby, every morning

Hi there...

My son is a pretty calm and happy baby, only cries when he wants to eat, or be picked up or a diaper change. We have 2 feedings at night, I burp him after our first feeding at about 3:30 am, then at our 5:00 or so feeding..
    He usually eats and just falls asleep and I am very tired too so usually I just fall back asleep without burping him. (co-sleeping)

Anyhow, does anyone else experience this..he gets very grunty and fussy
    (in his sleep it seems) for about and hour or so in the early early morning. He dosn't want to eat, he has his eyes closed and is just grunting alot, it seems to pass without much of anything passing, like gas or burps.. Just wondering what it might be?
    thanks

Default Re: fussy/gassy/grunting baby, every morning

Collin does that periodically in his sleep...I think all babies do...it could be dreams, or a little gas...who really knows...I heard they move around and make a lot of noise in REM sleep. As long as he's not screaming and crying, you know he's ok

My two week old makes grunty piglet noises as well. Once the gas is passed he seems ok.

My DS is one to squirm in his sleep like something is uncomfy, but not much gassy. I hate being sleepy during feedings. I always seem to fall alseep with him on the first breast and wake up like 2 hours later... still sitting up
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

My LO tends to be very animated in her sleep also.. lots of grunting and squirming. She also seems to have lots of tummy aches when she wakes up, and gets hiccups often. For the hiccups I've been trying gripe water on her soother, which she doesn't like (the soother that is) but seems to help the hiccups. As for the grunting in her sleep, as long as she appears to be reasonably peaceful to look at I don't worry about it too much.
    I haven't seen anybody post about gripe water here... are there any thoughts on its use for hiccups and stomach upset?
    I find her stomach usually feels better after she fill her diaper -- which she often does during feeding. One of the nurses in the hospital told me that the breast milk and sucking helps work things through. I'm hoping this will get better with time - she is only 2 weeks now.

Funny.. My son is also super grunty in the early morning. It seems like it's from not burping after his feeding. The first time he wakes up in the night he goes back to sleep and is pretty peaceful.. But like you, after his next feeding he gets all grunty and restless, but appears to be asleep (his eyes are closed the whole time).. And he'll be like that for about an hour... Then finally fall asleep or wake up. Usually when that happens and I pick him up he lets out a burp.. So that's why I figure he's grunty from a gas bubble.. But he's usually dead asleep after his feeding, so it's tough to get him to burp before I lay him down... The grunting is just annoying because it keeps me awake.. Sometimes I have to pick him up and sit on the couch and sleep holding him.... That's the only way for me to get sleep.

Hopefully it's something they'll grow out of!! My other 2 kids were never grunty...

Wink Re: fussy/gassy/grunting baby, every morning

My 6 week old little girl is the same way. I try to burn her all the time but she is still gassy. When she sleep she "talks" - or so we call it. She is constantly squeaking, grunting and stretching in her sleep which makes me jump up and look at her to make sure she is OK (we are 1st time parents). I guess with time I will learn to just accept her noises and sleep through them.
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

Ditto to almost everything that was said. My 6 week old DD does this every morning...early. It wakes me up and keeps me up b/c I keep checking on her...we co-sleep as well. I wonder if it is something at this age and if they will out grow it?? She usually passes gas as well.
    karin

wife to the best guy... anthony
    BF~PTCD'ing~ co-sleeping~ babywearing~organic eating mom to adorable anneliese 9/27/06 and sweet little melania 12/22/07
    and mom to my first love.... 3 fur babies

Glad to see I wasn't alone! My little fella has been going through some sort of growth spurt or sleep pattern change. (sleeping a lot..waking up to eat..then nibbling and falling back asleep...and repeat, and then crying REALLY LOUD because he wants MOMMY to hold him , hehe. I read that people just leave their babies asleep after feeding (in bed) and put up with the spit up, I stopped burping him a few nights ago (in the middle of the night after feeding)
    The last 2 nights he hasn't been really fussy in the morning at all. It's probably just coinsidence, is what I'm thinking. The only other thing I have noticed is that in general he is eating much better. Not gulping down a bunch of air like he used to..sometimes so frantic I think he would get lots of air in.

But he seems to be eating much better these days..I wonder if as they grow up they need to be burped less and less?

My guy is only 5 weeks old. I'm sure I'll be burping for a while longer

Oh ya, he also started sleeping much longer at night (whew) we only wake up for one night time feeding, and one early morning feeding anywhere from 5:30 - 7:am I guess he's already growing up jk!
    Forgot to mention one more thing (appologze for my fragmented msg's)
    I stopeed switching between breasts at the two nighttime feedings. So If I feed him on the right, next time I wake up, I finish the right, (unless he really drank well and emptied it at the 3 am feeding, which I have been lying staying awake to watch him and coax him to keep feeding at it) So when I wake up I have one bresast very engorged and leaking, but it seems to be better, as he gets more satisfied by the hind milk which has the fat.