Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doc wants a different feeding schedule..

Default Re: Doc wants a different feeding schedu

My son is 17 months old and even he has days where he's nursing every hour. And at night he gets one good 6 hour stretch (most of which I'm still awake for!) and nurses every 2-3 hours the rest of the night. He follows a pretty strict schedule, which is strange since I don't live a life with much clock watching, but it was the schedule his body created and it isn't even close to your doctors recommendations. Go with your instincts.

As for the doctor, I love mine for most things. The few I don't agree with I just nod and smile.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*oakdryad5 View Post

feed on demand. i dont know where they get this schedule stuff from, probably from moms who give formula?
    I think so.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    schedules are not for anyone.

If you were hungry, wouldnt you get a snack I dare say your doc would too.

One of my babies ate every hour He is just fine and skinny as a rail.
    I fed on demand with my formula babies too. I wouldn't have it any other way. The baby is the only one who know when they are hungry, no one else.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    There is no need to schedule feedings. Feed your baby when he's hungry. Every mom and every baby is different, there is no set schedule that you're supposed to be following.

Do you like your pediatrician otherwise?
    I do like my pediatrician. We were able to spend as much time as we wanted asking questions and getting them answered. I didn't feel like we were being rushed at all, and despite the office being busy we were told that after his shots we could take all the time we needed in the exam room to comfort him and to BF. This was our first visit with this pediatrician, as we are military and moved in between the 2 and 4 month wellness visits.

I'm glad to see so much positive feedback! My MIL told me that he should be eating less frequently, and my own mother told me that every baby is different and I should just do what makes him happy. With him being miserable, I was also having a hard time of it, and all I could think about was what if my supply went down because I was forcing him into a schedule he didn't want?

I will continue to BF on demand instead of trying to set a schedule. DH and I discussed it today, because I hadn't realized it, but last night my son actually had one 4 hour sleep stretch, which he has not done in a full week! I think we're getting back to our old schedule, which I will be so thankful for.

Thank you for all the responses! It was very encouraging to me to see that feeding on demand is the right thing to do! It's one of those situations where I'm getting advice from family and advice from my doctor, but all I want is what is best for my son

Glad you feel comfortable going back to on-demand! I was thinking about your post yesterday- it just boggles my mind that so many people will tell moms to ignore their instincts about their babies' needs when it comes to nursing (and sleep, but that's a different rant). Would they tell a mom "Oh, ignore your baby's cries about his dirty diaper, he doesn't need to be changed more than every 3 hours and if he feels uncomfortable, he needs to get used to sitting in his own filth"? Or "If he seems cold, just ignore him. Picking him up and warming him just causes bad habits!"? No. But when it comes to a baby's fundamental needs for food and comfort, you're supposed to watch the clock and not the baby. It's craziness!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Glad to hear you will go with your instincts. One of the hardest things for a woman is to not worry and to trust her body. And it's a wonder why with so much opposition. You've got this.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

In the package my midwife gave me for my birth, there was this handy little hand out. I really wish my BF had it when she first went home with her baby. I wish I had it when I first brought home DD1. Lots of handy little tips. But the one that sticks out in my mind and applies here (and I'm paraphrasing because I don't feel like hauling my preggo-butt up the stairs to get it )

Please feed me when I ask. I never knew hunger in the womb and I don't understand it now.

Seems so simple, but it's so true.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and