Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am i over feeding my 3 month old?

Default Am i over feeding my 3 month old?

My son just turned 3 months last week and seems really big and people always think he is older than he really is. So my amazing little man is in 9 month clothing and weighing in at a lovely 17pounds. Is he getting to big? I'm thinking I'm over feeding him. He is exclisivly bf and he nurses every 2 hours. I'm afraid he is gaining to much.

Default Re: Am i over feeding my 3 month old?

You can't overfeed a breastfed baby. Mostly because you, the mom, are not in charge of the feeding. The baby is in charge of regulating his consumption. When he's hungry, he sucks in a way that stimulates the milk to flow. When he's no longer hungry, and wants to suck primarily for comfort, his sucking changes to a shallow, less rhythmic pattern that causes the milk flow to slow to a trickle or stop entirely. this is different from the way babies eat from a bottle. When a baby is bottle-fed, the adult is in charge of the feeding. It's easy for even the most sensitive bottle-feeding parent to keep tipping the bottle to encourage the baby to take just a bit more. Bottles also deliver the same rapid flow of milk regardless of whether or not the baby is sucking hungrily for food, or sucking gently for comfort.

Breastfed babies tend to gain weight much more quickly than their formula-fed peers during the early weeks and months. It's not uncommon for breastfed babies to gain a pound a week at first. My second-born did that, and so did my husband, when he was a baby. And while you might think that this sort of weight gain pattern is going to result in a baby who is too fat to move by his first birthday, it won't. As your baby becomes more mobile, he's going to start putting his calories into motion instead of packing them on as fat. Most breastfed babies start to "lean out" and drop percentiles somewhere around the middle of their first year. Active babies tend to lean out more rapidly than their more sedentary peers. My kids both went from the 95-100th percentile for weight at around 3 months to the 75-80th by their first birthdays, while continuing to gain height at a constant rate.

With respect to the "he's so big!" comments, don't sweat them. People only know how to say 2 things about babies: "he's so big" and "he's so small". I've gotten both comments on the same day about my girls from well-meaning strangers. I think people just forget how big/small babies are at any given time!

If your LO is already in his 9 month clothing, he's probably not just a heavy baby, but also a long baby. Am I right? When height and weight percencentiles are roughly equivalent, that means the baby is proportional, and that's a good indicator that he's just destined to be a larger person. Like my DH: gained a pound a week at first and is now 6' 9".

My lo was in 9m clothes at that age too. He is 7m now and wears 12-18m clothes. He is 20lb 10oz now. He has slowed down to almost a stop in weight gain but still nurses 8 or more times a day. No worries mama...hes not too big. Besides chubby theighs are cute (wish it was as cute for me)

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

I also agree with pp. My dh and I are both tall. I'm 5'9 and dh 6'2....son is tall too.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****