Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mamma w/questions

Default New Mamma w/questions

So, Miguel is 8 old now. Was at high risk for Kumm's (sp?) so they were worried about him not getting enough milk in the beginning and getting way too jaundice. I had very very little supply so my ped wanted me to supplement with formula which I was hesitant to do, but did because he needed to. I've been pumping after each feeding to increase supply and have slowly built up to 2-4 oz with each pumping that I feed him at his next feeding and only have to supplement maybe twice a day with formula if he is still hungry. He was also tongue tied when born. They clipped his tongue on day 4 but by that time my nipples hurt horribly... (i had been offering breast before each feeding, feeding him with supplement, then pumping before my milk supply came in) And are still healing. . I don't even offer him breast now, because he has bad latch and well just needs to learn but my nips can't take it. I am thinking I will wait until my nips get better before even attempting to offer breast again and work on latch. Am I wrong for thinking this way?! I am so new at this I just don't know. I didn't know about supplementing by cup/spoon so I've been using bottle. Anyway, any input on anything would be appreciated. I need all the help I can get!

Default Re: New Mamma w/questions

8 days old

I would strongly urge you to ASAP reach out to your local LLL leader and call an IBCLC, which is a type of lactation consultant. There is no substitute for hands-on help at your current stage.

I get that you are in pain. BTDT. The way it was described to me is that you can still nurse while you heal. It's kind of like having a blister, but still needing to wear shoes. It can be done, but the shoes need to fit really well - or in this case the latch needs to be improved upon.

I would not wait to bring your baby to the breast. Time is precious right now. The sooner you can get your baby to the breast to nurse the more likely it will be that you can go on to have a successful nursing relationship. It sounds like you really don't want to go the formula route. It may seem easier now to pump and feed with a bottle, but it is not in the long run. It's VERY hard to exclusively pump. VERY few mamas can actually make it work. I *only* pumped for 9 months 5 days a week/3X a day when I worked FT. Trust me when I say nursing is FAR easier and FAR better.

You can take Advil and Tylenol to help with the pain. Both are safe for nursing mamas.

So, in short I think it would be very wise to offer the breast and try to move away from the bottles. I know it is painful for you to even think about, but you can teach your baby to latch correctly. I had to do it. My nipples were raw and torn to shreds. But I didn't give up, and heck, we are still nursing.

Here are some good videos showing nursing: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=videos

Here is how to find an IBCLC http://americas.iblce.org/find-an-ibclc

Here is how to find your local LLL leader http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

CALL ASAP!!!!!!!!!

You can do this. I know you can.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

And if you are just pumping, something is wrong. It should not hurt that much, even if your nipples are sore from a tongue tied baby.

But....I have exclusively pumped for over a year. It is HARD work. Much harder than breastfeeding becomes. Most moms have a hard time at the beginning of breastfeeding, but it gets easier. Pumping never ever does. It also isn't as nice for you or baby to EP. Often, baby needs me while I'm pumping

Unfortunately, the longer you wait to try to breastfeed, the less likely it is that you will succeed.

You NEED to see an IBCLC for some hands-on help. I can guarantee this will be less expensive than a year of pumping -- my year cost me about $2000 with pump rental, purchase of storage bags for my overage, various sizes of horns, etc, to make pumping less difficult -- or formula.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html getting baby back to breast
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html ways to feed to make transitioning back to breast easier
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ how to fix your supply, but what you describe, 2-4 oz per pumping, is NOT low. At 8 days, that is pretty good.

I suspect you are so sore from the latch, but pumping can be very painful with the wrong sized horns too, so you might want to make sure you have the right size. Also, what pump are you using? The inexpensive pumps can really make you sore. One that is used a d not working right can make you sore. You should be pumping every 2 hours around the clock with a hospital grade pump to make this work (you won't need to pump like that forever, but you do for the next 12 weeks if you opt to not go back to the breast).

http://www.llli.org/faq/heal.html how to heal sore nipples
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Excellent advice from the PPs. I just want to add that if you can stand it, try to put the baby to the breast a few times a day. A few nursing/latch sessions will not tear you up that badly, and the practice at the breast can really help your baby remember how to latch and nurse. It's much easier to transition back to nursing if your baby still knows how to go about it. Keep your options open!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you very much for your positive support! I know without it I would have waited a while longer to try bf again. I did some research and thought maybe I had thrush on my nips. Went to md yesterday... And although she didn't think so, she had me get some special nip cream with antibiotics and anti-fungals mixed in. Started using last night and I feel tons better althouh still some pain. I brought Miguel to breast today and he nursed from both sides, still pumped after he wouldn't re-latch and got one oz. About 30 min later he was giving hunger cues. Wouldn't stay latched. Tried to calm him and work at it for a while until he was screaming. Then I bottle fed him the oz and a little bit from bm I saved last night. It felt good tho... The latch and minimal pain (and only in beginning) . Thanks again for your support!

I brought Miguel to breast today and he nursed from both sides,
    This is excellent progress! Now, keep building on that. Don't get discouraged, it is a process. Keep working on latch and bringing baby to the breast. It is perfectly normal for baby this age to cue again shortly after nursing as Miguel did, this is how breastfeeding works in the early days.

I agree with pp's, if you can get hands on help that would be great. Tricky latch issues are often really helped by having someone who knows what they are doing watch you nurse and give you adjustments.

You don't say how often you are pumping, but if you are able to pump 2-4 ounces per session at this age, that is actually very good. A baby this age will only take 1-3 ounces per feeding. (They will often take more than they need in one feeding from the bottle and that confuses things & makes moms falsely feel like they have inadequate milk supply-more on how to avoid this below.) I would suggest you stop worrying that you have low supply and instead continue to concentrate on getting a comfortable latch and healing your nipples. If baby nurses well, no need to pump for that session. Aim for nursing 10-12 times in a 24 hour day, and if any session is v. short or baby refuses, pump instead. So a combo of nursing OR pumping 10-12 times a day. Of course it is fine and normal for a baby to nurse more often than that but you may not want to pump more often if that esp. if it is causing pain. An ill fitting or poorly running pump can cause nipple damage so be very careful about that! It should not hurt to pump OR nurse, but it can take practice to get a comfortable latch. Pumping should never hurt.

OK, so to help avoid nipple/flow confusion and to help baby not overfeed from bottle, you can use an alternative feeding method such as cup feeding, (see video here, fyi mom is shown with breasts exposed) http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...id=6&Itemid=13 or try this method for bottle feeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

edit: also I love this article on what is normal in the early weeks: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 8th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

If he nursed and then wouldn't relatch, he might have been full
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've been doing breast all day. And it only hurts in the beginning now! first 30 sec or so <-- which I know is normal for infants in the beginning stages. Last time though, he fed from both breasts forever and was still hungry afterward. I think maybe cause he fed for so long he just kept making stomach space. Maybe he'll sleep a lil longer now? He even tries to take the bottle now in too deep--- good sign that he has that "urge"! I'm glad I tried, because it's way better than I thought It was going to be!

Yayy! Awesome news mama!
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein