Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to start solids?

Default when to start solids?

my ds ia 5 months old. i have been hearing so many different things about when to start solids. i read another thread as well, about this and i have certain specific doubts...
    1. btwn 6 months to 1 year, is the supplementing of solids for nutrition or for experience? if it is NOT for nutrition, are the solids to be introduced on a full tummy?
    2. how exactly do babies show readiness? if you look at my kiddo, he is on the verge of crawling, constantly stares at me when i eat (with puppy-like melting eyes which make you wanna cuddle him and start giving him whatever you are eating right away lol), bites on his hands all the time (he has been doing that even on a full tummy for a month now, with no visible signs of teeth). i'd say he is quite ready for the experience of solids, wouldnt you all!
    3. cant i start with water? (stupid question?)
    4. he is now down to around 4 feeds in the daytime, at around 3 hr intervals. is that alright? cos he still takes a looong time at one feed (1 hr arounds) and is very active later on, so i dont think he is falling short on milk.
    5. what happens to milk supply once solids start? i want to bfeed as much as possible, and dont want my supply to dwindle.
    oh and on a side note, doesnt it like really hit you that your little one has grown up when its time for solids! it seems only like yesterday that he was keeping me up all night with his two-hourly feed marathons!

Default Re: when to start solids?

Way too lazy for formula

ds ia 5 months old. i have been hearing so many different things about when to start solids. i read another thread as well, about this and i have certain specific doubts...
    1. btwn 6 months to 1 year, is the supplementing of solids for nutrition or for experience? Experience. Food before one is just for fun, breastmilk has complete nutrition for the first year of life. Even for those who have a hard time believing that one cannot argue that breastfeeding is the primary source of nutrition for the first year of life. Iron is one of the biggest concerns regarding nutrition. Iron is lower in bm but it goes straight into the blood. Our birth experiences though can interfere with iron stores and so some babes do become anemic before a year and in that case it may be beneficial to supplement with iron rich foods.

if it is NOT for nutrition, are the solids to be introduced on a full tummy?
    Yes, always offer breast before solids

2. how exactly do babies show readiness?
    There are four signs of solids readiness:
    1. Sitting up unassisted (some will argue sitting assisted)
    2. Has lost the tongue thrust, so is able to swallow without pushing food out of mouth
    3. Interest in solid foods
    4. Babe is 6 months old

if you look at my kiddo, he is on the verge of crawling, constantly stares at me when i eat (with puppy-like melting eyes which make you wanna cuddle him and start giving him whatever you are eating right away lol), bites on his hands all the time (he has been doing that even on a full tummy for a month now, with no visible signs of teeth). i'd say he is quite ready for the experience of solids, wouldnt you all!

He certainly sounds like he might enjoy it at 6 months. The gut doesn't close until 6 months so prior to that mark it is not best for babe to start. Chewing on hands may indicate he needs to nurse yet again or simply he is exploring, it is not a sign of solids readiness. Also my daughter showed what I thought was interest in foods but once I offered she wasn't into it, she just wanted to try, so ya never know.

Your babe gets all liquid needs met. Some water is okay but it is recommended 2oz or less a day

4. he is now down to around 4 feeds in the daytime, at around 3 hr intervals. is that alright? cos he still takes a looong time at one feed (1 hr arounds) and is very active later on, so i dont think he is falling short on milk.
    Are you offering or are you waiting until he asks? Offer more if you aren't. Otherwise if he is happy then go with it, it'll probably change soon-ish.

5. what happens to milk supply once solids start? i want to bfeed as much as possible, and dont want my supply to dwindle.
    The start of solids is the slow beginning of weaning. That said so long as you offer breast before solids and in.between meals you'll be good. Remember breasts aren't a ''supply'' they are supply and demand. If babe needs more they nurse more and your breasts respond accordingly

oh and on a side note, doesnt it like really hit you that your little one has grown up when its time for solids! it seems only like yesterday that he was keeping me up all night with his two-hourly feed marathons!
    Absolutely, I actually got a bit depressed during this stage. I missed my infant!
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

I have been reading a lot on this topics lately as DS is 5.5 months. From my understanding here is what I know and a few resources I found very helpful.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*san30 View Post
    1. btwn 6 months to 1 year, is the supplementing of solids for nutrition or for experience? if it is NOT for nutrition, are the solids to be introduced on a full tummy?
    Solids for the 1st year are for plan and experience not necessarily nutrition. The WHO, AAP, UNICEF etc. all say EBF for the 1st 6 months. Yes nurse DS then give solids so you can ensure that he does not get filled up on those and not get the nutrition that he needs.

2. how exactly do babies show readiness? if you look at my kiddo, he is on the verge of crawling, constantly stares at me when i eat (with puppy-like melting eyes which make you wanna cuddle him and start giving him whatever you are eating right away lol), bites on his hands all the time (he has been doing that even on a full tummy for a month now, with no visible signs of teeth). i'd say he is quite ready for the experience of solids, wouldnt you all!
    My son acts the same way, and I feel the same way. I am just waiting (quite impatiently) for his half birthday

No such thing as a stupid question. I am actually thinking about using the little mesh feeder and putting a momsicle in there. DS is also teething and this might soothe his gums and let him practice getting something like food in his mouth. As for H2O not sure.

I already feel that way. The thought of solids, the almost crawling, etc. They get so smart so fast, and so big so fast. I already feel like I want my little cuddly baby back
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

This sounds exactly like my DD, who just turned 5 mos! Thank you for your post - you are much more focused than I would have been if I'd asked! It does seem really hard to wait, because she is constantly lunging toward my plate or hand trying to grab whatever she can and gets so mad that she can't have what mommy and daddy are having! It really makes me feel more comfortable knowing that I'm not the only mom going through this or wondering what to do! Too many other well intentioned friends and family make me start to doubt myself, but I guess it really is that instinct kicking in. So glad I found this forum, and thanks again for your post!
    With support...

Proud mommy to
    Ava

since 9/3/11
    since 11/14/11
    and working on
    and more frequently!

For babies who are giving you the hungry-puppy face but aren't quite ready for solids, it may help to offer them a spoon and bowl to play with. Babies who stare at your food aren't doing it because they're starving- they're just fascinated by what you're doing and want to participate.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    For babies who are giving you the hungry-puppy face but aren't quite ready for solids, it may help to offer them a spoon and bowl to play with.
    hey that's a good idea. i will try that.

i didnt know about the gut closing thing. so thanks so much momma for mentioning it! i looked it up and read about it.
    but i am still confused about the parameter that says "can sit up without support". what does this mean - sitting with the back rested without support (as in a chair) or sitting on the bum completely independently (as on the floor while playing). if it's the latter, gosh isnt that like ages away!

Sitting on the bum completely independently is what you're looking for. Unless you have a particularly sedentary baby, it tends to show up around 6 months. And it can show up totally overnight, even with a baby who looks like he/she will never get there. I remember talking to my neighbor about my then 6 month old, and she asked if she (the baby) was sitting up yet. When I said "no" she looked all concerned, like something was wrong. I went home all freaked out. About 2 days later my little lady sat herself up, making it look absolutely effortless.

I think that if your LO shows all other signs of readiness, is 6+ months old, and still needs a little assistance with sitting, you can go ahead with solids. Just remember that you're talking about very small quantities of food. A teaspoon or two at most. Think of it as a fun game: if baby eats some, great. If he tastes some and then spits it back out, great. At least he had a fun new experience. If he refuses to eat and just mushes the solids around with his hands, still great. He learned something and had fun.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"