Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! Pain in breasts...

Default Help! Pain in breasts...

I have been exclusively breastfeeding for the last seven months with minimal problems. I've had a number of plugged ducts which my baby was able to nurse away succesfully each time so I know what plugged duct feels like. Since Saturday (3 days ago) I could feel that my breasts were a bit sore (which is unusual). No shooting pain or anything but just dull pain that isn't very noticeable.
    It kind of feel like that sensation when after the plugged duct goes away the feeling of relief after having pressure for so long (does this even make sense?!?!). If anything it feels a little warm but nothing too terrible. I've read up on symptoms of mastitis and thrush and neither fits the bill.

No fever
    No pus
    No lumps
    No engorgement
    No redness on the breasts
    No noticeable tear or abnormal signs on the nipples

Nipples feel sensitive and hurts to the touch
    Surrounding areola feels a bit swollen but nothing too obvious (could be my imagination)
    it just kind of hurts...not a shooting pain
    More like a pulsating pain but dull

What could this be!?! I called my obgyn and instead of giving me an emergency appt, she prescribed antibiotics without even having seen me or speaking to me directly.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
    Last edited by @llli*okmrscha; February 6th, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Default Re: Help! Pain in breasts...

Could your period be on its way?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I was going to ask about the return of your menses as well. If not that then you could be ovulating.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Or pregnant?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm not pregnant and I'm not sure if my periods is on the way. I've never had breast pain when I get my period prior to pregnancy so I can't tell.

On the other hand, I took the antibiotics the doctor prescribed me anyway and all it did was give me rashes/hives. The good news is now I get to go in tomorrow, Thursday (I called on Monday) to finally see the doctor.

Now the pain is not dull...my nipples hurt and I have shooting/tingling pain in and around the nipple area. I wonder if it's "thrush" but there is no obvious signs of this, either. Just hurts like hell when she first latches on (and it's not from a bad latch, it's the nipples themselves) I hope my doctor can tell what it is.

Thanks for your input, ladies!

What did the doc think? I wondered about thrush at your first post. It unfortunatly doesnt always have the classic signs, and antibiotics might have made it worse.
    EBFing, CDing, BWing, co-sleeping mamma to Bennett (9/5/11).
    Excited to be a BM donor through Indiana Mothers Milk Bank (http://www.immb.org/).

That's how thrush feels for me. Almost exactly. Ask for diflucan. It works so much better than nystatin IME
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!