Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Being apart from 2.5 year old for 4 days

Default Being apart from 2.5 year old for 4 days

I nurse my 2.5 year old upon waking and down to sleep at night in weekdays and at night and naptime on weekends. I have been away from her overnight before. When she was one I would pump before bed and in the morning but since she turned two I have been away for 24 hours with no pumping a couple of times and have not felt uncomfortable.

I have to go away for 3 or 4 nights soon and I am afraid that my daughter will stop nursing. It is for a work trip and I would feel bad if a stupid work trip ended our breastfeeding relationship. I also wonder though if she stopped nursing due to being apart for a few days, maybe it would be because she was ready to and would have soon anyway? I do have thoughts about being ready to stop myself mainly because her latch has become shallow and it is a bit uncomfortable for me.

I just wondered if anyone had an thoughts or experiences to share. I am wondering--if I want to keep my milk going is it important to pump? It didn't seem to matter the other times I've been away but this is a much longer trip by comparison. If I don't feel uncomfortably full after 24 hours without nursing is is still possible that I will after two or three days and need to pump for comfort? I think about the possibility of pumping while I am on this trip and I just cringe!!

Default Re: Being apart from 2.5 year old for 4 days

I expect that if you Don't pump/express for 3 1/2 to 5 days, it will really hurt your milk production and if baby isn't ready to wean it could be kinda hard on you to deal with if you are conflicted about weaning at this point.

In any case, take a pump just in case if you do become uncomfortable you don't want it to turn into illness.

If you don't want to push weaning abruptly at this point you should probably pump at least once or twice a day, like either in the morning or before bed.

Here is my experience.
    When my middle child was 2 years old I took a four day out of town trip. I most definitely did NOT want him to wean, but knew it was a risk. Or rather, I knew it was a risk that the separation would cause a nursing strike and that might lead to a scenario where I could not get him to nurse again. I believe natural weaning occurs when a child decides they are done, and if a child is unable to nurse because mom is not there, and the trauma of that leads to baby no longer nursing, that is not really natural weaning. This is entirely my opinion.
    I took a small hand held electric pump and pumped in the morning and the evening, in my hotel room, and maybe one more time, I forget. No more than 2 or 3 times each day for about 10 minutes a side. I did not save the milk. It was simple and did not cramp my style at all, and I was sharing a room (luckily my roomie had also breastfed.) I did this so I would not get full or leak, but I also wanted to be sure milk production was not overly impacted.
    When we got back he started nursing again without a hitch, and I was very relieved.

This is all great to hear, thank you for sharing your ideas and experiences. I will bring the pump and pump once or twice a day I think. That way I know I'll keep some supply over the 4 days. I am lucky that I'll have a hotel room to myself and, if you have to pump, pumping in bed while watching TV is the best way to do it, right? I have the feeling that she'll be happy to nurse when I get back and it's worth it to pump to make sure there is milk for her.

if you have to pump, pumping in bed while watching TV is the best way to do it, right?
    Absolutely. In my experience it was very simple and kind of relaxing in a weird way-, made simpler by the fact I was not worried about saving the milk.

I had a couple work trips away from my first, once when he was just over 2 for 3 days, and then almost a week when he was 2.5. My experience is much the same as maddieb's: both times, I brought a pump and pumped in the morning, around 5 pm, and then at bedtime (those were the times he'd nurse, and I was also pretty full those times). In both cases, he went back to nursing just fine when we were together again. He nursed until he was over 3 years old.
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wiggle.bug View Post
    I had a couple work trips away from my first, once when he was just over 2 for 3 days, and then almost a week when he was 2.5. My experience is much the same as maddieb's: both times, I brought a pump and pumped in the morning, around 5 pm, and then at bedtime (those were the times he'd nurse, and I was also pretty full those times). In both cases, he went back to nursing just fine when we were together again. He nursed until he was over 3 years old.
    Great to hear! It's so reassuring to hear from moms who were able to travel and come home and nurse again. I know it's always a possibility that she'll go on strike but it helps to calm my fears to hear from you.

I just wanted to write an update now that I'm home from my trip. My husband and daughter ended up coming with me and staying for the first night. Then I had two more nights without them and arrived home before my daughter was asleep on the third night. So, this was all made easier by fewer nights apart than I had anticipated. HOWEVER, I fully intended to bring my pump but I forgot it!! I think I forgot it because my daughter was coming with me as I departed for the trip and my brain didn't make the connection that I would need it. Anyway, I went to CVS and bought a very expensive, very useless manual pump. It did not help me very much and I wound up just taking a shower morning and night and doing some hand expressing as much as I could. Between a little bit of the manual pumping and the hand expression, I was able to relieve most of my discomfort. But I sure did want to nurse when I got home!! Luckily, my daughter wanted to as well!! One thing that I think helped was that we were able to do a video chat both evenings that I was away and we talked about nursing and how we were both looking forward to nursing. That was really nice and it made me realize how special nursing a toddler is. It's something we share that we can talk about!! It was funny though, when I walked in the door, she was having a snack and she wanted to sit and talk to me while she ate and then she wanted to sit on my lap but she didn't want to nurse right away. But then at bedtime, she did. And she's back into her old routine now. I'm not sure if there is less milk but she seems to not care. Thanks again for the support.

Thanks for the update, nice story other than the issue with the pump.