Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A tip if you HAVE to use bottles...

Default A tip if you HAVE to use bottles...

I will be going back to work in the mornings and have just started practicing a bottle once a day since he will drink TONS of air if we do cup/spoon feeding. All the nipples I used were flowing WAY to fast, even Madela slow flow. I found preemie sized nipples for Dr.Brown bottles and it has been working AWESOME!

I just have to make sure I pump to make up for that missed feeding.

My anxiety is down soooo much now that he is getting better at taking a bottle. I won't be as worried while I am at work.

TMI or FYI:
    He is a week from being three months old. He uses a pacifier because does't like comfort nursing during the daytime and can't find his hands yet. He seems to have no problem going back to breast the rest of the day and night.
    Let's just hope he stays that way.

Thanks for letting me share!

Default Re: A tip if you HAVE to use bottles...

Glad you found a bottle/nipple that works for you guys! Hope all goes well!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Thanks for sharing. Other moms facing a similar situation will take comfort knowing that bottlefeeding is compatible with nursing.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I would also say to check your bottles' flow rates OFTEN. They can wear out FAST depending on how hard your LO is on them, allowing you to inadvertently give feedings faster than you would like.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

We also found that the system that uses a straw (I can't think of the name, but you hook it up to a straw inside the bottlem and the nipple hangs off another straw on the outside like a paci) the nipple that came with that system leaked awful, but put it with the slow flow NO leak nipples made by nuby and baby REALLY has to work at getting it to come up, in fact I even had to really really work at getting it to come up! So if for slow flow I don't think you can get any slower! lol We originally bought this system for the car, cause I was EPing for DD1 an car rides were AWFUL when she was hungry and I couldn't be back there with her or pull over. This system allows them to feed themselves. However, we loved how slow the flow was, and it made her eat the amount she was supposed to better, that we just started using the system all the time.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

And don't forget these helpful ideas for bottlefeeding the breastfed baby http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

A question after reading the link.....you can save breastmilk once baby has already drank out of the bottle? I thought you had to throw it out if they hadnt finished it in an hour because their mouth introduced bacteria??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*winngrin View Post
    A question after reading the link.....you can save breastmilk once baby has already drank out of the bottle? I thought you had to throw it out if they hadnt finished it in an hour because their mouth introduced bacteria??
    I always put mine back in the fridge and used it later. Sometimes 2 or 3 times. I just smelled it first. My kiddos never got sick.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I reuse milk all. The. Time. I am NOT about to pitch milk my LO has hardly touched after all this work of pumping it.

I've gotten to where I make 2 big bottles and use those overnight (he hardly wants one during the day now). He's fine
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I always re-used milk. It's so precious and there is no way I wanted to waste any of it.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.