Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis/Blocked Duct

Default Mastitis/Blocked Duct

Hello ladies, I have a question about clogged ducts for a good friend. She has a 10 month old still nursing 6 times a day. She missed a feeding and this lead to mastitis (this is her 8th so she knows quickly what it is) she believes it is being caused by a clogged duct, now when she expesses on one side there is thick green "stuff" coming out. It sounds like there is some sort of infection obviously, but what we are looking for is any kind of treatment that she can try. She doesn't want to have to take antibioticts, so if you have any ideas we would appreciate it! Let me know if you need to know anything else. You ladies are awesome!

Default Re: Mastitis/Blocked Duct

Express as often as possible, but I'd touch base with a doctor at least.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Empty the breast. That's the best treatment aside from antibiotics. But I am that she should talk to the doc, as well. Would it hurt to have a prescription in hand, just in case the mastitis really gets bad? She doesn't need to fill it or start taking it- just to have it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Facebook Page: Holistic Lactation. The women there are certified and incredibly helpful. For natural treatments.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.