Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy while feeding

Default Fussy while feeding

My 12 week old LO sometimes gets incredibly fussy while nursing....he will squirm and pull off the breast and then frantically seek it out again. Sometimes he bops his head against me while crying. He was born 6 weeks prematurely and breastfeeding was a hard road in the beginning but I am proud to say he is now almost exclusively breastfed....he does get 1 bottle in the evening with vitamins in it. Can anyone help me understand what he is doing and why?

Default Re: Fussy while feeding

Hi, and welcome! Can you say more about it? When in the feeding does it happen? Is it new or has it always been like this? How about the rest of the time, happy and content or fussy? I would first rule out ear infections or sore throat, then GERD (reflux). If not those, There is a chance it's teething already. If you are sure it's feeding related, it could be related to let down and a late regulation of your supply.

Is his age 12 weeks adjusted age or actually 6 weeks adjusted? That makes a big difference for the fist six months to year. We were in the same boat... Congrats for getting through it and nursing! For me, those first 12 weeks (LO smiled at 6 weeks adjusted) were some of the longest of my life.
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

This usually happens late in the evening, when I think he is very tired but has not been able to settle down to sleep. He will nurse well for about 10 minutes and then get fussy. During the day he never does this. This is new in the last few weeks, although I was supplementing with formula and have just recently been able to exclusively BF (I worried about supply, supplemented, created a horrible cycle but have now worked through it and BF is going great other than this issue).

His adjusted age is 6 weeks, almost 7. Was your LO also 6 weeks premature? My LO just started smiling...right when I was convinced he never would

That sounds like pretty typical evening fussiness. Some kids escalate all the way into tense, screaming, colicky fits. So in a way you're getting off easy, if all you're getting is unlatching and fussy crying. Some things that may help:
    - Motion. Rock in a rocker, bounce on an exercise ball, swing, drive in the car, ride in the stroller, etc.
    - Fresh air. Bundle baby up and take him outside.
    - White noise.
    - Calm house. Turn down the lights, turn off the stereo and tv.
    - Warm bath.
    - Nurse. Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse.
    - Wear baby in a sling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You should be proud mom! You are doing awesome!

I agree this could be perfectly normal, but this kind of behavior can also be caused/exacerbated by nipple/flow confusion. Can this happen with just one bottle a day? Maybe. Some babies who are getting both breast and bottles never show signs of nipple/flow confussion, others seem to get thrown after a single bottle. Generally the younger bottles are introduced the more likely there is an issue.

So what can be done? First, does he have to have a bottle? I assume the vitamins are because he was early. Can you talk to baby's doctor about alternative ways to give the vitamins?

If you do want/need to keep giving the one a day bottle, maybe try this technique for bottle feeding the breastfed baby: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Also, some babies do this head banging on mom thing when they are not comfortable or for some reason not happy with the nursing position. It's actually probably part of a normal nursing/kneading type behavior that can look/feel frantic when mom is in an unnatural (to baby) position. Do you have several nursing positions you can use? Have you tried laid back nursing positions, side lying, just anything different? See if any position(s) seem to help baby be more relaxed at the breast and build from there.

Check this out, I found it really helpful: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

Thank you, I read the links and the fussiness does seem to be just normal evening fussy baby syndrome Last night he was rotten until 1am and then he slept all the way until 9am.