Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toddler tipsy/drunk after nursing?

Default Re: Toddler tipsy/drunk after nursing?

Agree w/ PPs.

Was it a long day for your LO? Mine gets really accident prone and wobbly at the end of a long day, especially when he's sleepy. So, if that had been us, I would've taken it as a sign that he was exhausted and sleepy. Seriously, when my LO starts tipping over easily, I start wearing him because he totally loses his sense of balance when he's tired.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Thank you all for your answers! (Sorry i took so long to respond. I has having trouble logging in.) Well, it seems like it WAS the two beers.
    At the ER they checked him and said his reflexes and all his vitals were normal. They thought he might have a concussion or he might be developing an ear infection- that we should stay vigilant for fever or vomiting. They did not think it was the beers in the breast milk. But they did not take any kind of test to check for alcohol in his system.
    We went home and as time went by, he seemed more alert, but we went to bed since it was late. (He was "drunk" for about 3 hours before going to bed.)
    Next morning he was perfectly normal. That day he had an appointment with his orthopedist (who has also been a paramedic for 28 years) and he said it was definitely the beers. He said that any other cause for the drowsiness and loss of balance would have gotten worse, not completely gone away the next day.
    He has been perfectly well ever since.
    (I had the first beer on an empty stomach at around 2:30pm and did feel a little buzz, but then we both ate well. I only drank half of the second beer when we almost finished dinner at around 4:30. He slept in the car for about half an hour and then I breastfed him a taround 5:00. Maybe too much alcohol went to my bloodstream and hadn't gone away..)
    Thank you all for your concern!!

It seems unlikely/impossible that he would have gotten enough alcohol from two beers through your milk to be drunk for hours. With all due respect, I'm not sure I would trust an orthopedist or even paramedic for breastfeeding advice - even my pediatricians aren't that knowledgeable about breastfeeding! I would definitely be more likely to suspect ear/sinus issues. Whatever it is, it's over for now, and I wouldn't worry about it, but just keep an eye out for any symptoms in the future.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    It seems unlikely/impossible that he would have gotten enough alcohol from two beers through your milk to be drunk for hours. With all due respect, I'm not sure I would trust an orthopedist or even paramedic for breastfeeding advice - even my pediatricians aren't that knowledgeable about breastfeeding! I would definitely be more likely to suspect ear/sinus issues. Whatever it is, it's over for now, and I wouldn't worry about it, but just keep an eye out for any symptoms in the future.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

I know... it's crazy that doctor's aren't familiar with breastfeeding. I suspect the ER guy had never met a breastfeeding toddler in his life. (In Mexico, where I live, it is very rare for women in urban settings to breastfeed beyond 6 months max. In rural areas and very underprivileged sectors it's common, but doctors are not familiar with them.) So, he totally dismissed the idea. I regret not having insisted at the ER for an alcohol level test. That would have solved the mystery.
    For now the beers seem the only explanation possible. I guess I'll never know...
    Thank you for your replies!

Well, you'll know if you ever see those symptoms again, without having drunk any beer. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that the ER doc dismissed the idea because all of the evidence suggests that would not be enough alcohol to affect a toddler through breastmilk (yeah, doctors are ignorant, but it is possible). Because that's what the evidence in fact tells us. I just don't want you jumping to conclusions and blaming yourself when the facts really don't support that, you know? All of the studies that have been conducted find that the mother has to have pretty high blood alcohol levels to transmit a significant amount through the milk. One or two drinks is usually considered to be below that threshold. Of course, if I were you, I'd probably abstain for a while to see if the symptoms return, too.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; February 14th, 2012 at 08:47 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Why did you take him to an orthopedist? Or was it an osteopath?
    Mom to Taiga born 6/2010

Pocket cloth diapers. Baby led solids. Full-time working mom. I my DH, DD, kitty Dr. Benway, and my working border collie Odin!
    BF for 1 year and she and I still love it !!!!