Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toddler tipsy/drunk after nursing?

Unhappy Toddler tipsy/drunk after nursing?

Hi everyone!
    Yesterday we had a very scary episode. My 18-month old could not stand or sit up straight and could not walk without falling. My husband said "he looks drunk" and it dawned on me that I had had two beers at dinner 3 hours before.
    We became very concerned and took him to the ER, where they totally dismissed the idea that my alcohol consumption might be the cause of his symptoms.
    I had had a drink occasionally but this had never happened. Is it possible that he was actually drunk and that was the reason for his loss of balance? Any ideas? Experience?
    (Today he looks fine, but I'm still concerned and wondering what happened.)

Default Re: Toddler tipsy/drunk after nursing?

Unless you consumed the 2 beers very, very quickly and nursed your baby while you were feeling tipsy, and while the baby had a completely empty tummy, it seems unlikely that your alcohol consumption could have caused the symptoms you observed. This link goes more in depth on nursing and alcohol: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

I think I would follow up on this with your pediatrician.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Unless you consumed the 2 beers very, very quickly and nursed your baby while you were feeling tipsy, and while the baby had a completely empty tummy, it seems unlikely that your alcohol consumption could have caused the symptoms you observed. This link goes more in depth on nursing and alcohol: http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

I think I would follow up on this with your pediatrician.
    I don't think it was the two beers (which isn't very much, really). But those symptoms would concern me as well. I would follow up with your doctor and keep an eye on your lil guy for a recurrence of those odd symptoms over the next couple of days.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Alcohol leaves your milk at the same rate it leaves your bloodstream. If you were not drunk when you nursed it is not likely that was the problem. Even if you WERE drunk when you nursed, it's unlikely your LO would have gotten enough alcohol through your milk to affect him that much.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with everyone else. I'm willing to say there is no way your toddler was drunk from your 2 beers 3 hrs. prior. Please follow up with his Ped. to see what s/he thinks. Together, you may be able to figure out a cause for his behavior that seems logical.

What did the people in ER say about his loss of balance and other symptoms? It sounds like if could have been an allergic reaction to me.

Way too lazy for formula

Maybe he was exhausted? My guy acts totally blasted when he is over-tired and super sleepy. It's actually hilarious. I agree with PP it is very unlikely it was from the beer. What did the doctors say? I hope he will be okay!

How long did this "drunkness" last? My daughter comes up from nursing and stumbles around like she's in daze. I don't even really drink ever. It goes away after a few minutes. She's in her milk zone, I figure.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    How long did this "drunkness" last? My daughter comes up from nursing and stumbles around like she's in daze. I don't even really drink ever. It goes away after a few minutes. She's in her milk zone, I figure.
    Kind of like me after a really amazing slice of chocolate cake. It could have just been drowsiness and a full tummy.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Kind of like me after a really amazing slice of chocolate cake. It could have just been drowsiness and a full tummy.

Totally! Plus, add in being cuddled and having your hair stroked and back rubbed. Um, hello, heaven!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!