Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Totally freaked out! Help!

Default Re: Totally freaked out! Help!

My suggestion is to not think of nursing every 2 hours, 3 hours, or any hourly scedule. Most babies do not get hungry or need to nurse on an hourly time table. They may nurse frequenlty for part of the day, and if they nurse frequently enough, the longer sleep stretches are not an issue. Rather, if you want to increase sessions, look at how many times in a 24 hour day baby has nursed and try to up that by a session or two.

Ways to do this-keep baby with you more, sleep in close proximity, you may find then that baby begins to cue more frequently. No need to wait for a cue at all, offer the breast as much as you like. Try bringing baby to the breast when baby is asleep, babies can and do nurse in thier sleep. If your baby will not start cueing more 'naturally' or nursing in sleep, I really don't see anything wrong with waking baby over a prolonged sleep stretch when trying to increase nurisng sessions or weight gain. The worst that can happen is baby will not nurse and you get less sleep. Not ideal of course, but it's not a problem beyond that. If baby absolutely will not nurse more than 6 times a day, I think adding a session or two of pumping per day may be warranted. I don't think you need to do it in the middle of the night, try to do it at times you would normally be awake. I also don't think you will have to do it forever, but if you are concerend about supply I would trust those instincts.

Also I would not worry about baby not drinking vigorously, noty seeming interested, etc. Babies nurse differently at diferent times. If he is at the breast and taking in milk, even for a short time, he's interested. Short but frequent feedings is a perfectly normal pattern.

[QUOTE=@llli*lllmeg;1238094]My suggestion is to not think of nursing every 2 hours, 3 hours, or any hourly scedule. Most babies do not get hungry or need to nurse on an hourly time table. They may nurse frequenlty for part of the day, and if they nurse frequently enough, the longer sleep stretches are not an issue. Rather, if you want to increase sessions, look at how many times in a 24 hour day baby has nursed and try to up that by a session or two. QUOTE]

So would 8 nursing sessions be the minimum in 24h? And if the baby nurses for say 30 min, then nurses 30 min after that, does that count as 2 separate sessions?

I am not sure this can all be answered definitively, it's so individual. But, knowing what I do of your history, that you have had problems encouraging baby to nurse more, and seeing that baby is still gaining, then yes, I would think a safe minimum in 24 hours is 8 sessions. (Of course many babies nurse more frequently, much more.) And yes, I would count two separate nursing sessions as 2, even if they are close together, particularly if they tend to be long (as 30 minutes certainly is) and/or each of those sessions contain several minutes of active sucking and swallowing. But I would be interested what others think.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 8th, 2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: can't spell worth a darn!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I am not sure this can all be answered definitively, it's so individual. But, knowing what I do of your history, that you have had problems encouraging baby to nurse more, and seeing that baby is still gaining, then yes, I would think a safe minimum in 24 hours is 8 sessions. (Of course many babies nurse more frequently, much more.) And yes, I would count two separate nursing sessions as 2, even if they are close together, particularly if they tend to be long (as 30 minutes certainly is) and/or each of those sessions contain several minutes of active sucking and swallowing. But I would be interested what others think.
    Well, for the past few weeks I have been wondering how on earth could a mom breastfeed 10-12 times in 24 hours! Mainly because my baby would nurse for 1h our 1h30, hence the 6-7 sessions. So I may have to rethink this, if a 30 min session is already a long session... The problem is I can't really tell if he has had enough :P

It can be really difficult when one nursing session runs into the next. Does it count as two sessions or just one? What if the baby nurses and then wants to nurse again 10 minutes later? Is that 2 sessions? It does get easier as the baby grows up- I am sorry to keep telling you that the future is rosy when the present is so hard, but it really will get better.

One thing that might help is switch nursing. If baby is spending a lot of time feeding kind of lazily- my LC called it "napping-nibbling"- you can take him off the 1st breast when suckling and swallowing slows and switch him to the second breast. If he starts to act dozy at the second breast, switch him back to the first. You keep switching until baby seems full, falls asleep, or refuses to rematch. In theory, this teaches a baby that being at the breast means feeding actively, not just hanging out and napping in between short burrs of feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much everyone!
    Mommal, I'll give the breast switching a try, but what about foremilk/hindmilk imbalance if I do this?
    I'm starting to believe you (about the rosy future), especially now that we've been nursing pain free for 3 days, wow!!!
    Now I just have to get him on the right track with weight gain by nursing nursing nursing, right? It seems easier without the latching pain!
    Meg, I reduced our nursing sessions a bit (down to 30-45 min) but increased the frequency. If DS so much as opens his eyes, I offer him the breast. I'm already finding it easier to squeeze in extra sessions this way.
    I'll keep you posted! This forum is GREAT! Thanks again!!!

When you're concerned about weight gain, it's more important to get volume into the baby. Foremilk/hindmilk issues are secondary. (They are almost always a problem related to milk oversupply, and it sounds like that's ot an issue for you.) If you see a lot of green poops, then maybe switch nursing isn't working and you should go back to the way you were doing things.

It's fantastic that you're nursing pain-free and squeezing in the extra sessions! Hope things continue to look up!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So I've been putting the baby to the breast like ALL the time. A lot of the time he is not even showing hunger cues, but I just offer.
    We went for our weekly weight check today and he gained 5.1 ounces, which apparently is not enough. Last week he had only gained 2 ounces, so this is better, but still not enough... (I checked on kellymom, minimum is 5.5)
    I have to say I'm feeling so discouraged and confused. For the past 6 weeks he was gaining anywhere from 7-10 oz, so what the heck went wrong??? This is a shift from the 25th to 15 th percentile!The only changes were the longer stretches at night and the fact we're not supplementig with EBM anymore (I would pump 2-3 times a day and bottle feed because of sore nipples).
    I checked dr newman's site and he says the most common cause of slow weight gain after good weight gain is low supply.
    I have noticed the baby fusses when the milk flow slows down, he starts crying and pulling the nipple; he started doing this the past week, so I guess I must have low supply...

My questions are:

- What should I do here? Our current "schedule" is every 2 hours from 8 am- 10 pm, plus one feeding during the night when he wakes up, which is around 4 am. Do I wake him up more frequently at night? pump? i should say i'm already pumping after nursing at 4 am and 8 am, getting maybe 1 oz, and started dom (5 days ago)
    - if I have low supply, is it likely to go up if I keep this schedule? should he have gained more by now, after a week of increasing number of sessions?
    any advice appreciated, thank you so much for your help!