Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: erratic feeding

Default erratic feeding

Hi Everyone,

My little guy is 11 weeks old today (yay!). Yesterday and today, he has been taking naps (just one each day) that are longer than 3 hours. Yesterday it was in the morning and today in the afternoon.

Should I be waking him up to feed him still? I thought that if your baby is gaining weight well, which he is, then now it's no longer necessary to wake to feed.

Also, I am not sure what this will do to my supply. Will it make it go down for a day or two or longer since my breasts aren't being drained/used?

I guess this is just puzzling to me because since birth he has never gone past 2 hours during the day! My breasts aren't feeling terribly full or engorged because of the lack of feeding but I do notice a difference.

I feel that this is a silly question but as a first time mom, everything makes me question....

Default Re: erratic feeding

After 6 weeks, you can let the baby sleep provided he is gaining adequately and producing the right number of wet diapers (poop often slows down to once a week or so after 6 weeks).

This sort of feeding pattern could make your supply decrease somewhat during those nap intervals. But don't worry: as long as you feed on demand your baby should have no problem boosting it back up if he reverts to nursing every 2 hours.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"