Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin supplements

Default Vitamin supplements

Our pediatrician told us to start or baby on a multi vitamin after her 1 month check-up. I have started giving these but was told by a friend that breast milk should supply her with all the vitamins she needs. I am also still taking my prenatal vitamins. She really doesn't like them and spits them out like crazy. I have to blow in her face to get her to swallow them. Do I need to continue them?

Default Re: Vitamin supplements

I think most peds say breastfed babies need a Vitamin D supplement (poly or tri vi sol). I offered it to my daughter, who is now 6, and she hated it. I never used it with my son, and won't use it with my new baby either. Just a personal decision.

We gave my daughters poly vi sol (OTC vitamin) until they were 6 months and then switched to a prescription multi-vitamin (same thing my 2.5 year old takes) per Dr orders.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

My doc never says a thing about vitamin supplements until the 6 months checkup. And then she recommends either a daily multivitamin, or just Vitamin D drops. I just use the D drops, and those only during winter when we're indoors more. My kids don't seem to have suffered!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

They were never recommended to me for any of my boys. I've never given any.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

I've never given any either. My ped has never said we needed to.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

My ped suggests just vitamin D, but NOT that nasty Poly-whatever. Ick. Carlson's Baby D drops. No taste. And she only suggests it after many studies showed that most people are kind of D deficient.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hmmm I should probably start giving my baby some huh? Didn't even really think about it. I wonder if her sleeping issues could be from a vitamin d deficiency?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Probably not, but vitamin D is important for so many functions.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Think I'll pick some up tomorrow.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!