Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Choking incidents -- why and how?

Default Re: Help! Choking incidents -- why and h

No, you might be. Seriously, I thought for sure Gav would die a few times when I was listening to the cleft people who insisted he MUST only have purees. So I tried them. He inhaled that stuff, npt inhaled like eating, but literally inhaled...It went right down into his lungs. We were lucky that it didn't cause a problem.

There was a thing about this on the WhiteOut FB page the other day...
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Help! Choking incidents -- why and h

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*katmar View Post
    I think my confidence has been totally shaken by this.
    Mama, I actually think you did such a great job! You identified a choking incident properly, and handled it well. You knew how to get the food out, which is something I am about- I never took the infant CPR class and if I had to do the baby heimlich I'd have to run over to the fridge and check out the information sheet that I have stuck up there with a magnet... And then you were aware enough to take the cough seriously!

I am that purees can cause problems, too. Babies who swallow fast and want large mouthfuls are tricky, right? I know that with my second, I had to tweak my BLS approach because she wanted to cram her mouth full and because she was a good biter but not a terrific chewer. I had to offer her much smaller portions of food than I had given her sister, who knew from the beginning not to overfill her mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"