Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Unhappy breastfed baby?

Default Unhappy breastfed baby?

Hi first I just want to say Hi to all, when I found this mother to mother forum I about screamed with happiness! I've tried to stay positive despite all the problems I've experienced so far from nursing my 7 week old baby girl and one thing that worries me the most is that she seems somedays when it's time for a feeding (which is normally every 2 hrs.) to be real fussy after being on my breast for about a couple minutes. She kicks and cries and pulls off and then right away latches back on takes a couple more gulps then does the same thing. Now I've related it to maybe bad gas, maybe she's swallowing alot of air but I'm not a stranger to nursing as this is my 4th baby. Or maybe I'm missing something? Does anyone have this problem? I really watch what I eat, I've cut out the gassy foods the caffeine but she still does this every now and then. It's so frustrating cuz I don't know how to help her. I try to burp her and sometimes she'll burp sometimes she won't and then sometimes when she does she spits up quite a lot. Can anyone relate?

Default Re: Unhappy breastfed baby?

Sounds like an oversupply/overactive let-down(OALD) issue.

I can't post a whole lot, and I know a lot of mom's will chime in soon, but here's a link that might help in the mean time.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Thanks, it definetly sounds a lot like my problem, I would have never thought that, I'm gonna read some more. Thanks again.

That is what I was going to suggest as well.

Do you find that you have a LOT of milk?
    Are you tandem nursing?
    Do you pump at all?
    What has dd's growth pattern been?
    What are bowel movements like? Frequency, color, consistency?

Here is some more info. Let us know what you think.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

If you determine this is you, I can give you some more ideas/resources.

Do I feel I have alot of milk? Actually I feel I don't but according to her pediatritian she's gaining accurate weight so everything must be fine. I envy those of you who can pump because I can't, if I do I get like an ounce if that, so I really don't. The lactation consultant I've spoken with suggested I don't even bother unless I need to leave at certain times of the day which I don't so I solely nurse. Her bowel movements are like the color of mustard, seedy and she's going like about every other day sometimes she'll skip a day. You know it's frustrating because when I was younger with my first (13 years ago) I nursed and I had no problems whatsoever, then again even 7 years ago with my third I had no problems and I even worked back then so I didn't get to nurse for long, so now that I have the option to stay home and take my time and not have to worry here I am having troubles AHHHH, but I'm not gonna give up!

Well, you can have OALD without having an oversupply. (I just wanted to clarify for my own sake.)

Moms with OALD have found that positioning is key to keeping baby comfortably nursing.

Check here:

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=10689
    Last edited by LLLKate; November 11th, 2006 at 07:13 PM. Reason: add link