Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop question...

Question Poop question...

Do poops with absolutely no texture signal anything? We seemed to have worked through the green poops with block feeding and they are now a glorious golden hue but have no texture at all. It almost looks as if someone painted the inside of her diaper.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Poop question...

Sounds completely normal. Pasty, smooth and even watery are normal. Greenish, brownish, yellowish also normal. I think diarrhea (for infants) is more about increased frequency than consistency. There ought to be an online visual guide!

Glad to hear you're making progress! The smeary poops sound just like my DD's when she was small. I remember thinking they looked like a little bit of caramel smeared in the diaper.

Those poops sound absolutely marvelous. Way to go on overcoming the oversupply problem that plagued your earlier nursing relationships!!! I'm really excited for you and those lovely yellowish poops, LOL!

--Rebecca

Thank you O Fellow Poop Inspectors. LOL!

Another question - Since she has been on 3 courses of antibiotics since she was born, I am asuming that her poops are not what they would be normally. Infact, I would suspect the meds of being our main problem had I not gone through what I did with my previous babies. My question is, are poops always supposed to be yellow (or brown or green...whatever is considered normal) curdy or cottage cheesy? Is that just a newborn thing? I have always wondered this as all I have ever been told is that they should be a gold cottage cheese like substance. I think that part of my problem is that I have come to expect that this is "the way" normal poops should look and it just adds to my concern when the poops at my house don't look this way.

Ah, poop. Such a delightful subject. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Beth
    Sounds completely normal. Pasty, smooth and even watery are normal. Greenish, brownish, yellowish also normal. I think diarrhea (for infants) is more about increased frequency than consistency. There ought to be an online visual guide!

Actually, I came across this site with poo pictures for us:
    http://www.lactnews.com/the_diaper_images.html

The things that we research as moms... Not for the faint of stomach is it?!

-Carey

Here is a link that is not from LLL, but is a reliable source of information.
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

It has descriptions of all the varying styles of baby poo
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids