Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mom/baby separation after csection

Default Re: Mom/baby separation after csection

[QUOTE=@llli*Leslie;1238001]My butt is LEGALLY responsible for following and doing the things that the doc orders./QUOTE]

But also legally responsible for doing what the parents/patients want, right? And legally, don't the parents'/patients' orders supersede even the doctor's? Obviously that puts nurses in between a rock and a hard place, but ultimately if you say "I went to take the baby to the nursery but the mom said 'no way'", doesn't that put the nurse in the clear? Maybe even puts the hospital in the clear, provided that an AMA is signed?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There's no way you can convince me that a nurse has the legal right to take a baby by force if a mama says no. Ass-covering or no. However they can (and do) convince mothers all the time that they don't have the option to say no. I'm sure the rules make their jobs easier. I have huge respect for nurses and what they do, but when I or one of my kids is the patient making the nurse/doctor/caregiver's job easier is not high on my priority list.

I totally get that many medical professionals do things solely to cover their ass, which is why I have no problem questioning 'policy.' Because frequently hospital 'policy' is made based on whether or not the hospital is likely to be sued and not necessarily patient well-being.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

[QUOTE=@llli*mommal;1238033]
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    My butt is LEGALLY responsible for following and doing the things that the doc orders./QUOTE]

But also legally responsible for doing what the parents/patients want, right? And legally, don't the parents'/patients' orders supersede even the doctor's? Obviously that puts nurses in between a rock and a hard place, but ultimately if you say "I went to take the baby to the nursery but the mom said 'no way'", doesn't that put the nurse in the clear? Maybe even puts the hospital in the clear, provided that an AMA is signed?
    NOPE. Not if something bad happens to that baby. If mom REFUSES to send baby to the nursery and insists on rooming in (which I'm totally cool with, btw) and baby rolls off of mama's chest and hits the floor - its MY @$$. Its MY license. Because I was charged with the care, safety, and well-being of that child.

A parent has the right to refuse any treatment - but being separated from mama is not considered a treatment. I can't lose my license for pissing off or upsetting a mama by bringing a baby to the nursery. I CAN lose my license by leaving a baby in the care of an incapacitated mother, baby aspirates, ends up on a vent with pneumonia, OR I leave my other 3 babies unattended in the nursery to go check on my 1 baby and something happens to one of those babies. I'd lose my license in a heartbeat.

Did I mention how expensive my malpractice insurance is that I'm going to have to purchase as a nurse??
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    There's no way you can convince me that a nurse has the legal right to take a baby by force if a mama says no. Ass-covering or no. However they can (and do) convince mothers all the time that they don't have the option to say no. I'm sure the rules make their jobs easier. I have huge respect for nurses and what they do, but when I or one of my kids is the patient making the nurse/doctor/caregiver's job easier is not high on my priority list.

I totally get that many medical professionals do things solely to cover their ass, which is why I have no problem questioning 'policy.' Because frequently hospital 'policy' is made based on whether or not the hospital is likely to be sued and not necessarily patient well-being.
    I do NOT have a legal right to force a baby out of a mama's arms. But tell me how ***ked up it is that if that mama REFUSES to allow me to bring a baby to the nursery to be check out, that baby suffers some sort of mal event...then that parent has the legal right to sue me. Thanks and kiss my @$$.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I agree, that's f u c ked up. But it's not my problem as a patient that those rules are in place. I didn't put them there.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    I agree, that's f u c ked up. But it's not my problem as a patient that those rules are in place. I didn't put them there.
    And as a nurse, its not my problem if a mama has issues post c-section with letting her baby be evaluated in the nursery. She's gonna want to do what she wants to do for her baby/BFing relationship, and I'm going to do what I've got to do to make sure that ALL of my patients are safe and properly taken care of AND that my arse is covered. And if I'm in a situation where I can't safely take care of all of my patients and have the baby room in for that observation period...then I'm going to put my patients (all of their) safety above mom's feelings as I try my best to appease everyone.

**Leslie**

Mama to:

Wow. This thread is going wonky. I didn't have to be separated for 4 hours. What if that baby is crying for mama for those four hours?

And why is it that baby friendly hospitals do not require the separation? Do they hire more nurses?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Wow. This thread is going wonky. I didn't have to be separated for 4 hours. What if that baby is crying for mama for those four hours?

And why is it that baby friendly hospitals do not require the separation? Do they hire more nurses?
    Yes, they do. As part of the Joint Commision's rules, they have smaller nurse to staff ratios. They also have hospitals set up usually with LDRP rooms...labor, delivery, recovery, and post-partum rooms are all in one. Many times you will have the same nurse for all parts of the birthing process to provide continuity of care.

**Leslie**

Mama to:

I'm just saying, I wouldn't fault a mother for putting her baby's best interests ahead of her nurse's. Or her doctor's. Or her hospital's. The system that pits the interests of the patient against the interests of the caregiver is messed up. That's not the patients' fault. It's not the nurses' fault. It is what it is and everyone is going to do what they need to do to get the best outcome out of the situation.

That's why I told the OP that it's her baby and her choice. You can explain why it's better for the nurse all day long, it doesn't change the fact that the mother has the right to say no.
    --Anonymous

Most of the midwives & L&D nurses at the hospitals here give birth at home. I wonder if this is why.

And Paige, I couldn't agree more with everything you're saying.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months