Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mom/baby separation after csection

Default Re: Mom/baby separation after csection

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*barnheartbabe View Post
    I think a big part of this is that it's hard to tell what regulations are for patient safety, which ones are not, and if they accomplish what they were set out to do. We can see well enough in the more recent history of medicine how old ideas, based on what they thought was in patients best interests, we're wrong and have adapted accordingly. Why should childbirth be any different?

It doesn't have anything to do with sticking to the man. I don't give a **** about the man when I'm lying there with my brand new baby. Obviously if your hospital is set up in such a way that sticks brand new babies in with people recovering from contagious diseases you'd want to consider doing things differently. But I don't see any reason to blindly follow "policy" just for the sake of it being "policy." Ask questions. Ask for exceptions. All they can say is no. And then you can decide whether their reasons make sense to you and whether it's worth it to put up a fight.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

The hospital that I had Trixie in said that they had a policy to separate ALL mothers and babies right after birth. Labor & delivery is on a different floor than the Postpartum floor. I actually cannot remember how I got from one place to the next now, I just know that I held Trixie the entire time.

When I had my section with Lilah, they did separate us. It wasn't for four hours, it was maybe one hour. My husband was with Lilah the whole time. They went to recovery (which was a L&D recovery) while I was stitched up. Also, the L&D surgery room was in the same hallway as L&D.

I would ask for an exception. I asked for a lot of them at the hospital where I had Trixie - and they agreed to them. We were also prepared to have my husband go with the baby if in fact we could not keep from being separated.

I think it helps that there are three hospitals in my city and L&D is one of their big money makers. If you have a bad experience you are likely to blab about it every pregnant woman you see, and they do have competition here. The other weird thing is that the second hospital I gave birth in is applying to be a baby friendly hospital. So they told me that after they get that designation they won't be separating mothers and babies at all, they just need to figure out how to change their procedures to accommodate that.

Oh - and with Lilah, my DH and the baby nurse went to recovery with her to monitor her breathing. She did end up going to the NICU because of oxygen level issues, but she did not need to be separated from her parents entirely. I was ok as long as I knew that one of us was with her.

And I think a doula is a great suggestion.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I had my csections (2) at a baby friendly hospital. I was NEVER away from them. Everything that was done to either of us was done in the same room. I recovery, they insisted (i would have anyway) that he just lay with me skin to skin for at least one hour. It's a medical convience not a necessity to separate.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    I had my csections (2) at a baby friendly hospital. I was NEVER away from them. Everything that was done to either of us was done in the same room. I recovery, they insisted (i would have anyway) that he just lay with me skin to skin for at least one hour. It's a medical convience not a necessity to separate.
    Depending on staffing and logistics, it CAN be a necessity to separate. If there is only 1 nurse for 4 babies, that nurse CAN'T leave the 3 other babies unattended in the nursery to go take vitals every 15minutes in another room down the hallway. With Joey, they read my birth plan and were cool with everything. That day, they were slammed with births. They asked if they could please bathe Joey in the nursery instead of the delivery room because they were so slammed. I agreed, as long as Kyle could go with her - and he did. She was gone just long enough for me to take a hot shower, get some food, get my vicodin, and crawl back in to bed.

But the best thing to do is to ask for an exception.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Leslie View Post
    Depending on staffing and logistics, it CAN be a necessity to separate. If there is only 1 nurse for 4 babies, that nurse CAN'T leave the 3 other babies unattended in the nursery to go take vitals every 15minutes in another room down the hallway. With Joey, they read my birth plan and were cool with everything. That day, they were slammed with births. They asked if they could please bathe Joey in the nursery instead of the delivery room because they were so slammed. I agreed, as long as Kyle could go with her - and he did. She was gone just long enough for me to take a hot shower, get some food, get my vicodin, and crawl back in to bed.

right but in choosing a hospital I looked for that sort of stuff. Unless there was a medical problem, the rooming in with baby the whole time was a non negotiable for them.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

If a hospital can't deliver good maternity care, why is it delivering maternity care at all? (Rhetorical question, obviously!)

I understand that nursing staffs get swamped- I really do! And if there's a good reason for parents to be flexible, they probably should be flexible. To a certain extent, it's "buy the hospital ticket, take the hospital ride", right? But in this case, the hospital has a policy that isn't in accordance with best practices, perhaps regardless of what staff needs are at any given time. Unless I am mistaken, it sounds like a totally healthy baby born on a slow day would still be subject to the routine 4 hour separation. It's not "We'll try to keep baby and mama together unless there's some sort of situation that makes it impossible," it's "Doesn't matter what mom wants or what is best for baby, this is how we do it". It's definitely the sort of situation that would make me want to vote with my feet, and take my business to a hospital that can deliver a higher standard of care.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It's great if taking your hospital business someplace else is an option, but here there is the really bad hospital where I wasn't delivering--it was not even a consideration--and the better-but-a-long-way-to-go (figuratively and literally) hospital where I went. Rooming in is not an option in either one. I don't know about the one here, but there is very little breastfeeding support at the one where I delivered; the assumption (and sometimes the push) is that new moms will give formula because that's what most people here do. I was furious when we went for the hospital tour, and the head nurse in the nursery told us what we WOULD do and would NOT do--I don't advocate following policy because it's policy at all. I talked to the nurse and explained that we would be nursing on demand and I would keep him in my room, no separation, etc., and she explained to me in no uncertain terms that hospital policy would supersede parental policy every time unless the pediatrician's orders reflected something different, and that the way around that altogether would be to use a different hospital (you probably get the picture that we're not exactly overrun with them ). After I told her, in a poorly-controlled display of nine-and-a-half-months pregnant hormonal you-can't-take-my-baby drama, that she was not my drill sergeant and I was not her soldier , I took it up with the pediatrician. There were not many concessions made, but they were ones I could live with, and because of our blood issue we ended up being very glad that they did things the way they did. (The head nurse and I gave each other the side-eye and a lot of room the first couple of times we met after he was born, but she ended up being wonderful, and utterly professional.)

ETA: Her explanation for only doing what the pediatrician ordered was that she was responsible for providing patient care according to the doctor's orders, not the parents', and that she was accountable for showing that she did so. When I was a little less overwrought, it made sense, and gave me the chance to talk to the pediatrician about what I wanted her to order to see if it was possible.
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; February 7th, 2012 at 01:52 PM.

This is why I liked the system my friend's hospital used. One nurse...that was all she did. Went from room to room to check the babies. She was not responsible for any nursery babies; I don't think the hospital even has a nursery. It's room in or NICU.

OP, I'm still trying to find that article.

ETA: this is one but not the one I wanted. http://doula-ing.blogspot.com/2010/0...-cesarean.html

Good reason to be concerned though: http://www.mendeley.com/research/bab...breastfeeding/

Like this, and I wrote one similar to this just in case my out of hospital births turn into my worst nightmare http://prepforbirth.com/2010/10/fami...cesarean-plan/ Only mine had some serious teeth to it, not like this. It was very specific about what I allowed and what I would not, and if something I wanted them to not do was going to be a problem, then we needed to discuss it first. And I made sure DH knew what was Ok and what was not. An emergency is one thing. But when I know personally moms who say, "they took my baby and did things without my knowledge or consent," I take umbrage to that. You have a right to know what is happening to your child and how it is being done.

http://obnurse35yrs.wordpress.com/20...ing-it-happen/ Love this.

http://wellroundedbirthprep.blogspot...-cesarean.html
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; February 7th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    ETA: Her explanation for only doing what the pediatrician ordered was that she was responsible for providing patient care according to the doctor's orders, not the parents', and that she was accountable for showing that she did so. When I was a little less overwrought, it made sense, and gave me the chance to talk to the pediatrician about what I wanted her to order to see if it was possible.
    BINGO was his name-o! My butt is LEGALLY responsible for following and doing the things that the doc orders. I'm not losing my license over not doing that. So go to your doc and ask that it be written that baby is not separated from mama. But, because of the different situation of a c-section birth - and depending on the staffing of the hospital...it just might not be possible to avoid the separation.

And its important to know that even in the event of a separation...that doesn't doom breastfeeding.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

And what about 20mins after birth, then mom is doped up on duramorph or hydromorphone and baby begin's aspirating, retracting, or having apnea spells? There's a reason that my MW will stay with me for 4 hours post-partum before leaving. And there's a reason that for most birthing center births, moms stay for approximately 4hrs. Because if something is going to go wrong, it USUALLY will happen in that time period.
    But this is my point: The midwife or attending physician has to consent to, and remain continually with, the mother and infant until such time as the mother is deemed ready to go to post-partum. The midwife or attending physician effectively takes full medical responsibility for the health of the infant. In the event that the midwife or attending physician has to leave, i would expect that baby would get sent back to the nursery. The recovery room nurse and the LDR nurse(s) have no responsibility in the situation whatsoever beyond looking after the mother. I would seriously hope that there is no room in the situation for the nursing staff to become liable, because i do recognize that they are busy.

In an ideal and perfect world, we'd have 1 nurse for every baby and she could just come every 15 minutes to take vitals on her 1 patient. But that isn't the world we live in. The reality of the matter is that most nurses have 3-4 patients at a time and need to be able to effectively attend to ALL of those patients. And that can most effectively be done with all the patients in 1 place.

I bet a lot of people didn't know that if Paula's baby was my patient, and that baby started choking, aspirating, or something bad happened while he was my patient - that I'd LOSE my license. My years and years of schooling gone. So I'm going to do everything that I can to take the best care of my patient, meet the needs of the mom, AND protect my license. Those are ALL priorities and may be in a different order depending on if you're the nurse or the mom, but they are important. So there has to be a common ground. At our hospital here, daddy's get to go into the nursery, bathe the baby, weigh the baby, and take care in all parts of the labor and delivery and post-partum care. And as soon as that time is up, the baby NEVER has to go back to the nursery.

But that policy is put in place to protect all parties involved.
    Fair enough. Its your investment and your livelihood, and I don't think its fair to either staff or patients that we have ended up in a world where cover-your-backside medicine is a real necessity <sigh> I also wonder what it would take to change the situation.
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])