Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Mom/baby separation after csection

Default Re: Mom/baby separation after csection

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kst.7399 View Post
    I had sections in 2 different hospitals. With MK it was an L&D recovery room, so multiple people but all baby related. MK was in the NICU though, so I'm not sure where she would have been had she not been a preemie. It was a high risk hospital so there policy may have been similar. With D I went back into the private labor room. So they did what they needed to do to him where I could see. Until his blood sugar got too low and he needed to be in the nursery. Otherwise he would have never left my room and I could hold him whenever I felt strong enough. Or when I stopped puking
    Yeah I guess if it was all moms and babies I would have felt different. But if your Hospital only has one recovery room and everyone in the hospital who is recovering from something than your baby or not I would could consider why the policy is in place. I believe strongly that at my hospital it was to avoid putting newborns at risk and to be considerate of OTHER recovering patients and that made perfect sense to me.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Yeah I guess if it was all moms and babies I would have felt different. But if your Hospital only has one recovery room and everyone in the hospital who is recovering from something than your baby or not I would could consider why the policy is in place. I believe strongly that at my hospital it was to avoid putting newborns at risk and to be considerate of OTHER recovering patients and that made perfect sense to me.
    Yeah, I wouldn't want my newborn with sick people. I'm surprised that they wouldn't have a separate L&D surgery area. When D had his surgery he was with everyone else also. And it made me nervous having my 7 month old amongst really sick people, I can't even imagine the thought of a newborn.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I think it my hospital it was a space thing. The entire L&D ward was private birthing suites and private rooms. No one at my hospital had to share a room it was all room in. I am not even sure I had my c-section on that floor.

Way too lazy for formula

I can totally see the point of sending a newborn to the nursery when recovery from surgery is in a general ward, with lots of other people who might be really sick and who probably could live without a baby and his caregivers on the floor. However, I want to address the implication that babies are likely to be at extra risk because they're in the recovery room. This might be the case, or it might not. Hospitals are dirty places, and this includes the nursery. Babies pick up all kinds of germs from nursery environments- just google "nosocomial infection nursery" and try not to when you see what pops up. You never know where the nurse or doc or janitor with MRSA all over their hands is.

As Paige said, your baby is YOUR baby. Not the hospital's baby.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; February 6th, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My baby didn't go to the nursery. And I don't know that her would have to either. He went with my Mother to my private room. I believe it's completely reasonable to have the baby stay with someone you trust who is protecting your interests.

Way too lazy for formula

I want to add that even if you are separated for 4 hours (which I hope you are not), that does not mean 100% there will be an issue wtih latching/BF. DD2 was sent to the NICU for 8 hours for observation for labored breathing right after birth, I did not feed or hold her. She had 2 or 3 bottles in the NICU before coming to room with me and DD1. She latched on right away and never had any problems (she is also the one who loves nursing, DD1 prefers bottles that she gets while I am at work). I sent my DH to the NICU to stay with DD2 because I couldn't go, DD1 stayed with me. I wholeheartedly agree that you should send a family member you trust to be with little one if you are separated.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

With DD1 we had an emergency CS. She was whisked away to the NICU and DH went with her. She was given formula. Once my milk came in 4 day later, I pumped and we phased out the formula so when she got a bottle, it was breastmilk. I would nurse her for 5 - 10 minutes before giving the bottle. We were in the NICU for 8 days and she was completely on the breast within 2 weeks. She nursed for 17 months.

Formula doesn't have to be the end of breast feeding. It's an added concern, but it doesn't have to mean anything bad. Your baby may adjust to it on the fly without any issues. Assume the best, prepare for the worst.

As for the separation, I would start making moves to keep baby with you now. Even if the recovery unit is shared, if baby is with you, on you, skin to skin contact.... It would still be better than being taken away, possibly given formula when you don't want and still being exposed to possible infections. At least with you, your warmth, heartbeat and skin-to-skin you will keep stress levels down and both your immune responses high.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

I would want baby with me. I hear so many stories from moms I talk to IRL or online that go something like this: "I had a C-section (sometimes after vag birth) and the nurses took my baby, and I didn't know where. I was upset and scared because I didn't know where my baby was. When they brought my baby back, they had bathed, vaccinated, given eye goop and a bottle of formula. And I didn't want X, Y, or Z, and it was in my birth plan, but they ignored it."

One mom even said baby boy was circumcised against their wishes. Hospital said it was a mistake on their part.

A very dear friend is a NICU nurse, and she flat out told me to do all I could to keep my babies out of the hospital nurseries and NICU, as they are 'dirty'

That is why I would keep baby with me at all times. To keep my child away from hospitals, manned by people, who make mistakes and follow policies that may not be applicable to me. Next best...have one person delegated to stay with baby at all times and ready to question what the doctor is about to do to that baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I just wanted to add something, and I'm not trying to stir the pot. If you give birth in a hospital, you're subject to abiding by their policies. It's absolutely your baby, but if their setup/liability/staffing/etc policies necessitate their following certain procedures, you can pretty well expect that that's how they're going to operate. If you don't want to abide by them, you don't have to, but you can't necessarily not abide by them and stay there, KWIM? I thought many of the policies at the hospital where Thomas was born were ridiculous, but they were what there was. My option was either going someplace else to begin with, or leaving AMA, which would have brought a multitude of other issues with it. I think it's wonderful to be able to have what you want, but in the hospitals where I live anyway, you don't necessarily get to order off the menu of what you want; you get what's served or you don't eat, you know?

That also doesn't mean not questioning or not asking for what you want, but in my experience that works better by explaining what you want/need and not going in with the "this is my baby and we do this my way" mindset. The hospital where I was had its own procedures, but their goal was not to somehow disempower me or to take away my decision-making abilities, but to be able to provide care with the resources at their disposal.
    Last edited by @llli*mumtothomas; February 6th, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Paula I love it when agree on stuff. It makes me feel so rational.

Way too lazy for formula