Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mom/baby separation after csection

Default Re: Mom/baby separation after csection

Yes, it is possible to keep the baby with you after c-section. It happened with me. I had an emergency section done and even turned down additional pain meds so that I could be aware of my son and nurse ASAP. I'm not advising that, just saying that it is a possibility.

I would definitely look into any change in the hospital policy, and having an advocate with you, like a doula. Sorry you have this additional stress.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

It's not standard and it's not necessary. I had my daughter with me after my section, she never left my arms. What do you think would happen if you just refused?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    But I have a friend who had a c-section, and the baby never left her side. It doesn't have to be done this way, where they take baby elsewhere. That is the part that bugs me about this...I know it can be done differently because I have seen it done differently.
    But how does it help? If you can't care for your baby anyway? Why it it better to have your baby with you when you can't actually care for them? ?
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    Exactly susan.

Of course mom probably can't physically care for the babe for a few hours, but what about the dad, grandmas, nurses that are usually a plenty around the mom already.

I know when I had my c-section my baby had to go to nicu, however, when I was in the recovery room, all the "healthy" babies to the other c-section mom's were right there with us in the recovery room.
    So was your recovery ward actually ON the L& delivery ward? Because where I gave birth it wasn't. I was ALL people who had just come out of ANY major surgery.

Way too lazy for formula

But you can care for your baby. You can feed, hold, and comfort the baby. The only challenge is changing the diaper is suppose. (That's what DH is for)
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    But how does it help? If you can't care for your baby anyway? Why it it better to have your baby with you when you can't actually care for them? ?
    At that point all you have to do is hold the baby and nurse. Unless you had GA your arms will work just fine.

ETA: My recovery room was in L&D, the same room I 'labored' in.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I don't think it's necessary, necessarily, but it is standard in many places. There were things that were negotiable--nursing immediately, his dad staying with him, the nursery allowing my family to see him before they were "supposed" to--when I had Thomas, but that was not one of them.

Yeah dude No. A I don't think it's fair to people who say just came out of surgery to have a tumor or their gall bladder removed to have to listen to newborns screaming and B I have NO IDEA who else is in there and what they are recovering from. I don't want my newborn possibly exposed to anything. I was perfect fine with him NEVER leaving the L&D floor of the hospital until we put him in the car.

Way too lazy for formula

To the OP: it's YOUR baby. That's all. It's YOUR BABY. If you refuse to let her go there's not anything they can do. It's just a matter of how much you want to fight about it. If you want that time to recover and regroup, then take it and don't feel bad about it. I'm sure it won't ruin anything. If you want to keep your baby with you, start now finding out what you need to do to make that happen. I'd start with asking your OB/Midwife.
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*norasmommy View Post
    To the OP: it's YOUR baby. That's all. It's YOUR BABY. If you refuse to let her go there's not anything they can do. It's just a matter of how much you want to fight about it. If you want that time to recover and regroup, then take it and don't feel bad about it. I'm sure it won't ruin anything. If you want to keep your baby with you, start now finding out what you need to do to make that happen. I'd start with asking your OB/Midwife.
    Exactly.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00

I had sections in 2 different hospitals. With MK it was an L&D recovery room, so multiple people but all baby related. MK was in the NICU though, so I'm not sure where she would have been had she not been a preemie. It was a high risk hospital so there policy may have been similar. With D I went back into the private labor room. So they did what they needed to do to him where I could see. Until his blood sugar got too low and he needed to be in the nursery. Otherwise he would have never left my room and I could hold him whenever I felt strong enough. Or when I stopped puking
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn