Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mom/baby separation after csection

Default Re: Mom/baby separation after csection

I forgot to add that my son ended up being in special care for over a week due to some unforeseen issues, so I was not able to nurse him for several days, and when I eventually was, it was only every four hours. They gave him a pacifier and he was bottle-fed both formula at first and then pumped colostrum and milk, and we didn't have any issues with nursing. If you do give birth at that hospital, it may mean dealing with some things you'd rather not, but it doesn't doom your nursing. I hope it goes better than you expect.

this idea just came to me, is it possible you could hire a doula to go with you, doulas are there to support what YOU want. That way the doula and a trusted family member could stay with the baby, and you could still have your DH with you. Or Visa Versa your DH with the baby and the doula with you. But, I'm thinking if you hire a doula, and them being more used to be around drs/nurses, they may be stronger willed to keep them from giving baby formula, and going against your wishes.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Wow that is just terrible! I am so sorry! I agree about asking have you considered a VBAC? They are very possible. I guess I just agree with what everyone else has said and don't worry you will be fine no matter what You can do it! And we will all be here supporting you
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I want to second the advice of having an advocate stay with baby. Also have a birth plan that outlines this desire and make a lot of copies, give it to your advocate, post it in your room, hand out to nurses , give it to anyone who could use it. Additionally you could make a bracelet that says no-formula and have them put it on babe or a knitted hat or onesie. This is your kiddo, let it be known!

Furthermore you could state in your birth plan that if anything you prefer your child be given donor milk over formula , fed by a syringe (like a medicine dropper) instead of a bottle. Sign the donor milk waiver in advance so they have no excuses.
    Baby Girl "Piper" born Feb 12th, 2010. She is a true blessing!

And a baby who is now an Angel in Heaven Feb 7th, 2008.

It's not an awful policy IMO. It's standard and it's what safe. You can't move your body from the waist down after a c-section. You need to recover by yourself and can not care for your baby before you can feel your feet and wiggle your own toes. Which takes just about 4hours. With that said I just made sure my mother or my DH was with my child the whole time I was in recovery. They knew to make sure he got no bottle, paci OR SHOTS and they were already waiting for me in the room we would be sharing. Just plan for that. That the person who is going to be with the baby STAYS with the baby. And that it's someone who you trust and knows what your birth plan, respects it and will advocated for you and protect your child.

Way too lazy for formula

Oh. And I had a c-section was separated from my baby, he was sleepy and wouldn't nurse for 24hours, Went from 8lbs 2oz down to 7lbs 9oz, and my milk didn't come in for 5 days. I never panicked and I never supplemented. He passed meconium for 2 days, He sucked, he slept. The nurses told me it was completely NORMAL for C-section babies to be sleepy and to NOT be hungry for the 1st day or so. They said my colostrum was enough. They said up to 10% of body weight loss was no cause for alarm. (I wasn't alarmed by that anyway. I know of full term babies that were 5 or 6lbs, I thought as long as he stayed in the realm of NORMAL NEWBORN...why worry?)The nurses at my hospital WERE breastfeeding friendly/supportive and it was still completely standard to be separated while mother recovered from major surgery. So I wouldn't write off the whole hospital and try to find another one based on that policy. If you go in with a birth plan AND A person to stay with your child who KNOWS what you want your wishes will more than likely be respected.

Way too lazy for formula

But I have a friend who had a c-section, and the baby never left her side. It doesn't have to be done this way, where they take baby elsewhere. That is the part that bugs me about this...I know it can be done differently because I have seen it done differently.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Exactly susan.

Of course mom probably can't physically care for the babe for a few hours, but what about the dad, grandmas, nurses that are usually a plenty around the mom already.

I know when I had my c-section my baby had to go to nicu, however, when I was in the recovery room, all the "healthy" babies to the other c-section mom's were right there with us in the recovery room.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    But I have a friend who had a c-section, and the baby never left her side. It doesn't have to be done this way, where they take baby elsewhere. That is the part that bugs me about this...I know it can be done differently because I have seen it done differently.
    I had gestational diabetes with D and his blood sugar tested very low. They still let him stay with me in the delivery room and for about half an hour after in recovery. They didn't take him away to give him formula to get his blood sugar up until I was being dealt with and couldn't give him any attention anyway. Then my husband went with him. As soon a I was in my room they brought him to me. And I couldn't feel my legs until the next day (I am extremely sensitive to medication). I did have issues with him, however they were mainly because of his tongue tie and then nipple confusion because his tongue wasn't clipped until almost a week old and it became exhausting to finger feed that long. But, he's 17 months old and still nursing.

Find an advocate. The doula is a great idea. Maybe they can plead with the hospital on your behalf and you don't have to be stressed about it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I live in a rural area, and there is one hospital per (larger) town/city (and I went to one 45 miles away because it's where my OB practiced). Finding another hospital here is just not an option. If you live someplace where there are options, and there are places that offer the options you prefer, it makes sense to check those out.