Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of BLS

Default Benefits of BLS

Ok so I hadn't even heard of BLS until about a month ago (and I thought I was so informed...lol) anyway A2 is only 5 months so I don't plan on starting yet but with A1 I just did the typical start with rice cereal (at 6 months) then on to applesauce, pears, sweet potatoes and so on. I actually loved giving her baby food and she loved it and it was so easy and I loved making it myself and it was the easiest time other than just EBF. Now that A1 is 3 I wish she was still on baby food ahaha as she is a very picky eater. Anyway I was wondering what the benefits are to BLS and peoples opinions on why its better (or worse) and your advice to me. TIA!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Benefits of BLS

It's soooo easy!

I also think in general you may get less picky eaters, cause they are used to eating what every one else is served, instead of their "special baby" food. They don't learn that they get anything different then the rest of the family, and take it as you eat what every one else is. At least that's what I have noticed. Not that they will like EVERY thing. lol But, at the same time they don't expect you to make or give them something different then every one else is getting.

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

It's easier. No special foods to prepare, no time spent spoon-feeding.

It gives baby some to do. Maneuvering cheerios into your mouth is a fun new game for a baby!

It allows baby to completely control her intake of food. You don't have to wonder if you put too many spoonfuls in her mouth, because you know that she ate what she wanted.

There's no one right way to do things. You can choose to do it one way or the other or you can combine spoon-feeding and BLS in any way that works for you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

w pps

It's also the lazy mamas way to do things! Basically I wanted be able to eat MY dinner while it was still hot (I'm serious this is a major reason why I did BLS ) Idk one of the things I dreaded about having a baby was the fact that someday I'd have to feed it baby food because I was skeeved out that I would have to try it whenever he ate. And you save money on jars, baby bullets, etc. And you save time making extra food.

I think the social aspect is really important. Lots of people feed their babies solid purees outside of "family" meal times because it takes time. My son sits at the table with the rest of us (and sometimes joins in the discussion with some baby talk ;-) )

It helps with motor skills too. He developed a pincer grasp relatively early because he wanted to get at some Cheerios.

Lastly I think it encourages you to make healthy meals for the whole family because you want something good for the baby. And idk for me it helped me relax. It helped me trust my baby.

I have done it both ways and BLS is definitely easier as a whole, although definitely messier. I did the jars with DD. It was frustrating at times trying to feed her and eat myself, especially since she didn't have a lot of patience when food wasn't coming fast enough. DS1 would not eat baby food and our ped suggested feeding him table food. She said she saw breast fed babies refuse baby food and she figured that was because the food they had been eating was more flavored than the bland baby food. He also liked to self feed. It was definitely easier, especially since I had an older one to help as well. Before DS2 was ready for solid foods, I read about BLS and realized that's what we had done with DS1 and I never even tried baby food with him. It does take some planning to make sure you have something you can share with him and he is messy. In fact, he kept pulling bibs off until I got these. I do feed him some things but most things he feeds himself and will yell if he sees something on my plate that he wants to eat.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Easier. Less disgusting...let's face it...have you ever tasted baby food? It is so gross.

I think there is less to clean up but I made baby food for like a month with my first. There I was, cooking for the baby, getting out the blender, making food, cleaning up, all the time. So much stuff to clean up. Now, I cook, I put it in the high chair, he eats or not according to his will, and that is it.

When the kid starts throwing food, I take him out, wipe him down and let him go. Minimizes the mess.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Glowworm doesn't throw food (although he did seem to be dropping spaghetti for the kitties the other day). He just can get it all over himself. Blackberries for a while were only done on tubby nights.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I'm definitely going to do at very least part BLS and part feeding her. But probably I'll just do BLS. Thanks everyone for your stories and answers! It definitely helps!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*magnoliahoney View Post
    It's soooo easy!

I also think in general you may get less picky eaters, cause they are used to eating what every one else is served, instead of their "special baby" food. They don't learn that they get anything different then the rest of the family, and take it as you eat what every one else is. At least that's what I have noticed. Not that they will like EVERY thing. lol But, at the same time they don't expect you to make or give them something different then every one else is getting.
    with all pps but wanted to second this especially. A lot of pickiness issues IME are texture-related also and BLS helps guard against our babies getting used to bland textures and tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    I'm definitely going to do at very least part BLS and part feeding her. But probably I'll just do BLS. Thanks everyone for your stories and answers! It definitely helps!
    Have fun! I did purees with DS, purees and more finger foods with DD1, and BLS with DD2 and I definitely prefer BLS!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Pardon my unknowing, but is BLS the same as BLW? I just started reading about it today, after my almost 5 month old tried to dive head first into my spaghetti and meatballs last night - literally got it in her mouth and I panicked and pulled it out.
    Married 10/30/10 to DH Ryan
    DD Ruby 9/20/11

Currently and learning

I breastfeed because I couldn't produce enough formula.