Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The continued adventures...

Default The continued adventures...

So, we had the tongue-tie clipped about a month ago. I had a fifth bout of mastitis about a week or so after that (missed tickets to a show and everything, boo) and treated it with a ten-day course of Bactrim. Doc gave me a one-time dose of Fluconazole/Diflucan to eliminate any possible yeast overgrowth from the heavy antibiotics, and I hope that helps us. My supply just feels so, so low these days and my son is wanting to nurse all the time! I know it's his way of building my supply back up, but I do get very sore by the end of the day...

The last few weeks, I think he's been going through a growth spurt again. I can always tell by the fingernails! We put him to bed around 7pm and about 1/3 of the time, he wants to nurse again at 10 before he sleeps through the night. So, I hadn't been pumping in the evening because I didn't want to be so sore when he woke to nurse. But then he didn't want to nurse at 10, and slept through just fine! So I wake up in a puddle, just sitting there thinking, all my precious milk! All over my sheets! Grr!

Ladies, what should I be doing now, in terms of pumping, supply building, etc? I still get my daily vasospasms and he is nursing so frequently... I used to be able to pump more and now I just barely get a few drops, and I am nervous because my stash is basically down to 20 oz.

What would you do? I've been through the wringer and I am completely bereft of ideas at this point.

Default Re: The continued adventures...

You have been through a lot and you really deserve a high five for continuing to nurse!

Are you going back to work, and if so, when are you going back, and what will your pumping schedule be like when you go back? The answer to those questions really impacts how much pumping you should be doing at this point.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thankfully, I am lucky enough to stay home for the foreseeable future. I was just wondering if I should be pumping to get my stash/supply back up.

side note but your avi picture is adorable. one of my favorites
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Jenna562 View Post
    side note but your avi picture is adorable. one of my favorites
    Thank you! It was actually one my hubby took, and it's on his chest, so I hope people don't look too closely and see all that chest hair and think, oh my, she's got hormone problems... LOL.

I thought she was just lying on a furry rug!

Since you're going to be home with your baby for the forseeale future, I think you can pretty much feel free to stick the pump on the shelf. 20 oz is a fine stash for a mom who isn't planning to be away from her baby all that much. Unless you're planning a weekend away from baby or something, I'd probably just leave the stash as it is, and maybe make an effort to add a bottle every time you use a bottle. That way you never dip too low. Though honestly, plenty of SAHMs make it work without bottles or freezer stashes.

I have a feeling that when you say your supply feels low, you're mistaking a very normal adjustment in supply for low supply. Most moms start out making too much milk. It's nature's way of making sure the baby or babies get fed. When a mom makes too much milk, she feels full or engorged a lot, and often leaks a lot, too. It's not desirable to make excess milk in the long run, because making extra is a waste of energy and puts mom at increased risk for plugged ducts and mastitis (sound familiar?). So after a mom has been nursing for a while, her supply adjusts to meet demand pretty precisely, without a lot of extra milk lying around to make mom feel full, engorged, or leaky.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I know, you're probably right. I guess, post-illness, post-antibiotics, I just feel really empty. I realize that they don't have to fill up to have anything in them, and they are a continuous supply factory, but I just have this gut feeling that something is going on. I don't think my mastitis was due to plugged ducts but rather some kind of infection... and of course there's the ever-present worry of low supply due to my past breast reduction. There's just so many factors going on. I feel like such a special snowflake.

He seems to want to nurse so frequently these days, and he just learned how to stand up (not yet 7 months old, oh boy) so he likes to nurse while basically standing up in my lap, bent over to my breast. It's like aerobics! He seems to just be hungry hungry hippo all the time.

I'm probably freaking out about nothing. Bleahhhhhhhhgh.

We're all special snowflakes, hon!

I think that if you got him to 7 months without needing to supplement, you can stop worrying about supply. I know that as a post-reduction mama that worry must be very hard to shake, but I really do think that you are one of those rare lucky ones who got through a reduction with your ability to nurse intact.