Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Exclusively Breastfeed to Six Months?

Default Re: Exclusively Breastfeed to Six Months

I know the feeling W is just over 5 months and everyone is pushing solids. W is showing all the signs of readiness but we are going to wait another few weeks to start. Then I think I might do BLW, less work for me!! I really like that they get to regulate their own intake.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shortthumbs View Post
    Can you just picture, somewhere in a University dining hall, rows of students eating with knives and forks, and one kid just burying his face in his pizza? "What's wrong with Jeff?" "Oh, his mom waited until 6 months to introduce solids. He never learned to eat. Sad story, really."

"If only Jeff's mom had introduced solids at 5.5 months. 15 days would have made all the difference."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My sons doc doesn't even bring up solids...not a peep. She asks how many times he nurses and that's it. My lo started solids and bls at 6months and NEVER had rice cereal. He has very very little solids and ONLY at dinner time cause he gets mad watching all of us eating No pressure...keep on keepin on. Your baby will let you know when they are ready I think most people judge cause they are insecure about their own choices, jmo.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

I didn't wait until 6 months with my son, but it was because he was super interested in eating with us. But you definitely don't need to start at 5 months and you absolutely do not need to use cereal. My son's first food was sweet potato. He ate that, squash and avocado for about a month. I then started making him brown rice cereal and oatmeal for breakfast myself with the baby bullet.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

The "window of opportunity" just means you get them used to a spoon being put into their mouth by somebody else, before they get too independent and want to do it themselves. Heaven forbid they try to feed themselves. (Can you tell I am a baby lead weaning mama?)

Your doctor's point about rice cereal being for practice is correct. It has no nutritional value and serves no purpose but to practice spoon feeding, supposedly with a low risk of allergic reaction.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

"If only Jeff's mom had introduced solids at 5.5 months. 15 days would have made all the difference."
    Haha ok this made me literally laugh out loud! hahahahahahaha
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

It is waaaay more convenient when they can feed themselves. You can all eat dinner together and place food in front of your baby, and not have to take time away from eating your own food to feed baby. I spoon feed things that have to be spoon fed, like yogurt, but he loves to self feed.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

To be honest, I have given my kids cereal before 6 months, one was 3 months, one was 6mo and the other was 5 months. My baby who was fed cereal at 3 months still has weight issues and she never did sleep better at night like they said she would. I waited with my son (who is 1) to start solids when he was ready. He was a little over 5 months actually, but he basically grabbed the food off my spoon and shoved it in his mouth. Every baby is different. I didn't start really feeding him "baby food" until he was 7 months. He mainly got my breastmilk mixed with cereal for about 2 months. Seems like everyone has an opinion these days and feels they could do a better job.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011