Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exclusively Breastfeed to Six Months?

Default Exclusively Breastfeed to Six Months?

I wanted to get some encouragement that its okay to wait till my baby is six months old before offering her anything but breast milk. I feel like I am the absolute minority amongst all my friends with babies. They've all already started their babies on solids by 5 months, even if they breastfeed exclusively. Our pediatrician said no later than 5.5 months for rice cereal because they need to practice on that before they need solids for nutritional value at 6 months. What did you all do with your babies? I'd like to start her on solids only when is absolutely necessary since I'm a single mom right now (husband is serving overseas) and breastfeeding is so much easier and good for her immunities. I plan on making my own organic baby food but purchasing organic rice cereal when we do start solids, hopefully at six months. LO will be 5 months next week.

Default Re: Exclusively Breastfeed to Six Months

You absolutely do not need to start solids until YOUR baby is developmentally ready for them. And if you don't want to start with cereal, you don't need to. Google "baby led solids" or "baby led weaning" for some interesting information about letting your baby lead the way with eating solid food. It can be much easier and cheaper than purees.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tashamu2004 View Post
    Our pediatrician said no later than 5.5 months for rice cereal because they need to practice on that before they need solids for nutritional value at 6 months.
    Where do they get this stuff?!? Seriously, I am pretty sure that doctors are not supposed to just make things up for no good reason, and then pretend it's based on medical science.

I waited until 6 months or thereabouts with both my kids, though I looked more for the signs of readiness the PP mentioned than l looked at the calendar. They both turned out fine, and today are terrific eaters. My 6 year-old eats just about everything, and my toddler... Last night the kid was downing asparagus and kimchi by the fistful! I did feed my first kid some cereal, because I thought I was supposed to. Skipped it completely with my second-born. We did baby-led solids with both children. I thought I had invented it- my first kid would not take food off a spoon so the only way to get her to eat solids was to let her feed herself. By the time baby #2 came along, there was no way I was going to fool with spoons and purees! Too much work. Let the baby feed herself. When she's ready, she'll eat.

Oh- and solids do not become nutritionally necessary at 6 months. At least not according to my pediatrician, who says that until around the first birthday breastmilk or formula alone are sufficient to meet a baby's nutritional needs. So for the entire first year, solids are for fun, and for experimenting with new tastes, textures, and motor skills. If baby eats solids, great. If not, no big deal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Actually all a baby really needs until a year is breastmilk. You do not need to start solids at all yet. I am in the same boat as you. My dd just turned 5 months and everyone is pushing solids but I'm like no way! I don't plan on starting until about 8 months. Unless she is super showing signs of readiness sooner.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Jeepers, even the American Academy of Pediatrics says not to introduce solids until 6 months. And the key is that is solids are INTRODUCED, not that they become a major source of nutrition. That does not happen for many many months, often well past a year, if mom continues to nurse enough.

Every baby is developmentally ready for trying solids at different times, usually no earlier that 5 or 6 months, and often much, much later. This is just as every baby is ready to sit up, crawl, and walk at different times. Also, no reason to start with rice cereal unless you are eager to have the excitement of dealing with your baby's constipation. Ugh, no thanks!

The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010) has a whole chapter devoted to solids. This book is a fantastic resource for all breastfeeding moms and its pretty cheap online. I also strongly urge you to start attending LLL meetings if there are any close enough to you. I started going to LLL meetings when all my friends were weaning by 6 months. I was like, huh? I don't want to wean, I like to nurse! lol. I thought I was weird. I realized its not that I was doing anything wrong but simply that I needed the support of some new friends who were approaching parenting in a similar way.

Crazy.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Even my pediatrician says no solids, breastmilk only (or formula but ideally breastmilk) for 6 months.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

I am cracking up at the asparagus and kimchi! Yum... Though, I just tried asparagus today and mine was...less than enthusiastic about it!

Can you just picture, somewhere in a University dining hall, rows of students eating with knives and forks, and one kid just burying his face in his pizza? "What's wrong with Jeff?" "Oh, his mom waited until 6 months to introduce solids. He never learned to eat. Sad story, really."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shortthumbs View Post

Can you just picture, somewhere in a University dining hall, rows of students eating with knives and forks, and one kid just burying his face in his pizza? "What's wrong with Jeff?" "Oh, his mom waited until 6 months to introduce solids. He never learned to eat. Sad story, really."
    I always wondered about that when people say there is a "window of opportunity" for solids. Does that mean that those who missed it never learn to eat and there is a subsection of the population subsisting on liquid diets?

In all seriousness, I agree with the pps. Baby led weaning is one of the best things I did with my son AND it's the lazy way out!

Some of us never used cereal at all. It's not one of LLL recommended first food. It has no nutritional value except the iron they fortify it with and even that is as absorbable as iron your baby will get naturally from iron rich foods. Don't feel pressured. Solid food the entire first years is for fun and exploration only. It's not needed for ANYTHING nutritionally. Your breastmilk has it covered!

Way too lazy for formula