Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cold and low supply?

Default Cold and low supply?

I've had a cold for the past five days, the symptoms peaked in the last couple of days and today I woke up feeling a bit better. However, my breasts seem to be very slow in making milk (unusual for me, I tend to have OS). I am drinking lots of liquid and nursing 7-9 times a day... anything else I should do or is it just a matter of time? Will my supply come back once the cold is gone? ???
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Cold and low supply?

It depends on whether or not your baby needs that extra milk. If she doesn't, your body may take this opportunity to keep production at a lower level, one that matches her demand very exactly. If she does need extra, though, she will nurse more and your supply will jump back up.

Hope you feel better soon, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you, mommal! My baby also has a cold--she got it first, then I got it. Last week she dropped all solids and nursed much more often, and it was only yesterday that she started back on solids (two meals a day). So... I think she still does need a lot of my milk! I guess she hasn't seemed hungry, the only difference is that I have to use both breasts per feeding sometimes (not always) and for me that's very rare! As long as it stays this way it's fine, but I was afraid it was going to diminish and diminish...

thanks for the well wishes. This is the worst cold I remember in many years, argh.

i love my little one

I know a lot of people talk about losing supply as if it were a pond that one day dries up and there's not a darn thing you can do about it. But luckily, supply is more like a garden. If it gets neglected because mom is skipping feedings or supplementing with formula, or takes a hit from nature (like when you're sick) it will wither. But it will bounce right back if you tend to it by nursing on demand. Pretty cool, right?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

it is cool! i know my supply is very responsive to extra feedings, but i've never been sick while breastfeeding before. as it turns out, i have bronchitis. i just hope i don't pass it on to my baby. i have to take azythromicin for 5 days (doctor said it's OK for BF). i'm also hoping i don't get thrush!... anything i can do to prevent it?

i love my little one

Oh, bronchitis sucks! Sorry, mama. I hope the azithromycin clears it up. It is safe for BFing- I have taken it while nursing, myself.

Tips for preventing thrush:
    - Good breast hygiene (use fresh towels, wash your hands, wash your bras and shirts on hot)
    - Reduce yeast-promoting foods in your diet, i.e. simple carbs and sugars like those found in white bread, sweets, processed foods, white rice
    - Take a good probiotic and eat a ton of yogurt- the antibiotic will kill your good bacteria in addition to those making you ill, but the probiotic should help you restablish a healthy flora

mommal, thank you again! i'm so overwhelmed with all this, it's nice to have your support here...

thanks for the thrush-prevention tips. i have to find some non-dairy probiotics now (baby still off dairy)...

i love my little one