Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: failure to thrive, was told to wean

Default Re: failure to thrive, was told to wean

I don't have experience with FTT. But my son did not gain a pound from 12/15 months until 2.5 years! He was 27lbs, but grew in height and head. Doctor never said a word about weight gain. Toddlers are so active, I can easily see how my son burns more calories than he eats (not a big eater either).
    On the constipation side-have you tried prunes? My son had awful constipiation so we would give him a little prune juice or pureed prunes. We give DD1/DD2 prunes a few times a week, to head off any issues.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Just wanted to say my son was also diagnosed ftt at about that age too, and let you know my experience with the GI doctor. We saw one separate from the allergist, and I think you will have better luck seeing a group that works together, because both doctors felt my son’s problems were the other one’s issue.
    He had both an endoscopy/colonoscopy, and yes after drawing blood and taking a stool sample this was their first recommendation. I will tell you this is one time you and medical people will both be happy that you still nurse. It counted as close to a “clear fluid”, and he could nurse up until noon the day before the procedure while cleaning out his colon. If you just have the upper scope it is much closer to the actual procedure that they can nurse. We were also able to nurse in the recovery room after.

We waited and waited cause we were so scared of the endoscopy, in hindsight it was not bad at all. The thing that scared us most was that they use general anesthesia. They were very good and it was great that she was still nursing like the pp said. She was able to nurse until maybe 4 hrs prior and then immediately after. Breastmilk is counted as a clear liquid and they were all thrilled that we were still nursing. They all thought it was wonderful and we were never criticized one bit. We actually gave pumped milk in a cup in recovery since she refuses to nurse outside our home. We were there maybe 2 hrs and even got home in time for her nap which she was happy to take. Prior to that we had blood work done and they had checked the stool multiple times to see if there was any blood which would indicate an allergy. They only found mild acid damage in her stomach. Is your lo on any acid reducers or show any signs of reflux pain? DD2 never showed much sign but I do think the medicine helped her. We have been to many ped GI's and I would not be surprised if they want to try her on Zantac or prevacid just to see if it helps. They are both easy to give and it is a good way to see if there is something wrong. I hope that helps, feel free to PM me if I can offer any more advice.

Aileen
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Hello! I was curious how things have been going for you 8 months later.

Hey! Things are good. DD just turned 3 and is back on the charts and in the 15% percentile. We've had some poop withholding issues because of earlier dry stools causing pain. That was also keeping her from being hungry. We had a brief stint on Miralax but after doing some research on that stuff and finding out it isn't FDA approved on children we found an alternative in prune juice, high fiber foods and no bananas. We are still nursing but I'm ready to wean for other, unrelated reasons.

Our major breakthrough with food intake was a combo of getting her to poop and giving her smoothies with peanut butter and yogurt. We also learned to make her proportions smaller so they were less intimidating and to space out snacks and meals. I wish I had started food earlier, not for the calorie intake but for the discipline and habits of eating. I was nursing too much at the time of her diagnosis. I just didn't know any better and kept nursing at the first sign of hunger instead of giving foods first. I didn't understand that I needed to continue to nurse but AFTER giving foods. She would have a bit of breast milk then dash off and get so hungry that she would just want milk again. I had to shift the focus to eating and make it fun. It was hard. I feel kind of like an idiot for not knowing how to introduce food properly but I've rocked some other parental areas so I guess no one is perfect.

But all is well! Thanks for asking.

xoxo
    being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

just saw this thread, curious what foods you give her and how you make it more fun. my little guy needs more variation and more fun

Well our nutritionist said to introduce a food and let her explore it a bit. Sometimes kids will touch something 20 times before actually eating it so we just kept at it. We always put something on her plate we knew she would eat ... yogurt typically and then dedicated one section to experimental foods. We let her prepare things a bit. Oatmeal with little side dishes of raisins, yogurt, banana (back before we banned it) and then let her sprinkle some cinnamon on it. She was more committed to eating something if she was involved in the prep work.

She now loves dried seaweed, apples, raw carrots, ham slices, pita crackers, cucumbers, no salt tortilla chips, peanut butter and yogurt smoothies with flax seed in it, pasta with beef and marinara sauce (we let her put cheese on herself), laura bars, tj's whole wheat cereal, eggs with cheese, hot dogs, mac and cheese ... pretty typical stuff but no more bananas or starchy white bread stuff. To keep her bowels moving we give her 5 ounces of pure prune juice and make it fun by counting off the ounces in her cup. She drinks and measures and gets excited when she gets close because after she finishes her prune juice we let her pick out an animal vitamin. It isn't a reward or anything just something she likes to do. Now we have no problems getting her to drink it because she associates it with something fun.
    being a SAHM to DD born 12/09

Another thing that has really helped with constipation is ground flax mixed into a tub of baby food prunes. It really works! We also wanted to avoid the Miralax and we were so pleased that this healthy alternative did the trick. I sometimes makes it super thick with the ground flax and then thin it down with flax/DHA oil. HTH!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.