Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin supplements

Default Re: Vitamin supplements

My ped said Vitamin D once daily. She said its the one thing breast fed babies are lacking. My baby loves the taste and is thriving!

Did you all get them online or in a store? And I wonder why that is. I mean breastmilk should be all they need right? What happened in nature that something is lacking? Things like that bug me haha
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I just got it from my local drug store it was about 18.00 dollars infant vitamin D 400IU and I give her 1ml daily. Vitamin D supports good bone health. Baby development will become impaired with a lack of Vit D also they were finding babies that were exculsivly breastfed were developing rickets. It's very hard for babies to get vitamin D naturally as it comes from sunlight and babies are not suppose to be in the sun without high ammounts of sunscreen which blocks out the Vitamin D.Depending on where you live there is little sunlight in the winter I live in Ontaio Canada and their has been little to no sunny days since I had my baby at the end of December. I know my OB also had me on 1000IU of VIT D when I was pregnant and had said it helps with baby bone growth and development inutero!

In addition, many moms (and adlts in general) are vitamin D deficient because we just aren't outside enough. This is particularly true for darker-skinned people: melanin inhibits the absorption of UV light, protecting people from skin cancer but also making it harder for them to produce vitamin D. So if a mom is vitamin D deficient, her milk may have less vitamin D than is desirable.

It is possible to overdose on Vitamin D, so if you are concerned talk to your doc before taking mega-doses of D vitamins!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've not seen just the Vitamin D supplement only. Just the nasty poly and tri vi sol. I prefer unflavored meds, and meds with no dyes. I may have to look for that!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lovemygirlso1 View Post
    Did you all get them online or in a store? And I wonder why that is. I mean breastmilk should be all they need right? What happened in nature that something is lacking? Things like that bug me haha
    There is nothing lacking. Nature intends for babies to get vitamin D the same way everyone else does: through sunlight exposure. Throughout most of human history mothers and babies were both outside much of the day. Thus, there has never been a selective advantage for the passage of vitamin D through breast milk.

Thanks to our modern conveniences, we now spend much of our days inside we no longer get enough sun exposure for sufficient vitamin D synthesis. It is my understanding that even if a mother has ample vitamin D stores not enough of it necessarily passes through her milk to ensure that her baby will get sufficient vitamin D through milk alone. This makes sense, as this has never been the primary source of vitamin D for infants. As mentioned by paytons.mom and mommal, ample, direct sunlight exposure is the best way to insure that your baby gets enough vitamin D. Supplements should be given when it is too cold to go out with exposed skin (pigments in the skin synthesize vitamin D when activated by UVB light).

Recent research has shown that vitamin D is important for far more than just bone health. The Mayo Clinic has a good review on the current status of vitamin D.

Definitely look into the Carlson drops. You only need a single drop without all of the stinky stuff.

Darker skinned folks in cooler climates are at the highest risk of Vit D deficiency, but even very fair skinned people in sunny climates, like me, may be at risk because we use sunscreen to try to prevent skin cancer. Studies show that people get a LOT less exposure to sunlight now than they used to. If mom is deficient, she can't get it to her baby in breastmilk. You can expose your child to sunlight every day for Vitamin D, but I know where I live in CA, people are pretty worried about sunburn. So while most people who don't supplement turn out just fine, I don't see any harm in supplementing, ESPECIALLY if (a) you are darker skinned or (b) you live in a climate with long winters or not much sun at all (the Paciific NW) or (c) you live in a sunny climate but regularly use sunblock or never let your child in the sun without a hat, etc.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

That makes sense for sure. I went out and got the vitamin d only supplement drops today. And gave A2 her first dose. When I bought them I remembered that I actually did give A1 a multivitamin with d vitamin supplement when she was a baby and totally forgot. So I guess thank goodness I did that! She was my first so I was more paranoid and did everything ya know? I'm glad A2 isn't too old yet. I know both my brother and dad get vitamin d deficient. My dad suffers from SADD during our long winters here in Utah and my brother is actually on prescribed vitamin d supplements as his bone growth and repair has been harmed. So I'm so glad I got her on the vitamin D now. She hasn't been in the sun for more than a few seconds since she was born since its freezing here and mostly overcast right now. She always kind of acts like she hurts a bit and I thought it was her GERD but now I think it may be some bone pain. So after a few weeks on the D I hope to see an improvement. I wonder why my ped never told me to supplement? She always exclusively breastfed her babies and knows I do and plan to do extended BFing. She knows how much research I do on my own and how up to date (or I thought I was!) on most things so maybe she thought she had told me or thought I knew. Maybe she did tell me and that's why I had A1 on vitamins and I just forgot she said it...anyway I'm rambling now. Thanks everyone!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

You can get Carlson's Baby D drops online, like Amazon, or WF or other natural foods stores locally. Wegmans grocery carries them too, eat coast moms.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I really doubt your baby is suffering from bone pain as a result of vitamin D deficiency. While it's never a bad idea to supplement, actual rickets takes a really long time to set in, and it's really incredibly rare in the developed world. Most cases of rickets result from severe malnutrition in childhood due to severe famine, etc. (Or famously, children in England in the 19th century would get it because they worked long hours in factories and didn't get any sun at all.) The supplement is recommended out of "an abundance of caution" and because there's no down side to supplementing, not because most babies are at high risk of developing severe deficiency. I just don't want you to feel bad for not giving the vitamins until now! Your baby is very unlikely to have suffered any adverse effects! The vitamin D deficiency that is common in the developed world today is a mild variation, generally not severe enough to cause bone problems.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; February 5th, 2012 at 03:47 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.