Thanks JoMo!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Vitamin supplements

Thanks for all the info. I was not aware you could get just vitamin d drops. That is prob the route we take now since she hates the poly visol!

What about iron? I also am giving my LO the Poly-vi-sol drops because my ped. said he needs the vit D and iron. Infant formulas have iron added so is there a drop with just iron and vit D?

Adequate iron passes through breast milk to supplement an infant's iron stores built during gestation. Thus you only need to supplement with iron under exceptional circumstances (e.g. premature birth). My full-term son needs an iron supplement, but I tend to be significantly anemic at times. Large amounts of iron are added to formula because this type of iron is much more difficult to absorb than the iron in breast milk.

Iron supplementation can cause constipation, and too much iron can be very dangerous. As such, I would not supplement with iron, unless a blood test on you baby reveals a need to do so.

Yeah, babies shouldn't need iron until after six months, and then they can get it through solids. (There are some exceptions, like some preemies.) So I wouldn't supp with iron unless a blood test showed baby was anemic, or for some other medical reason.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.