Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wean? Mom's question from New Beginnings

Default Wean? Mom's question from New Beginnings

Hi - this is the most recent question from a mom in the New Beginnings LLLUSA magazine. Any words of wisdom for her? Please feel free to be detailed, in reply here or in a private message. Your answer may be published; please let me know if that is NOT ok! Here is the question:

“I work full time and my son is almost a year old. I know that there are reasons that moms continue to nurse, but are there any specific benefits to working moms and babies that I should consider?”

Thanks in advance for all you do, LLL mamas!

Default Re: Wean? Mom's question from New Beginn

When you are a nursing working mom, breastfeeding is a beautiful way to reconnect after a long day at work and at daycare for both of you. Toddlers are beginning to recognize that you are separate from them, and they love that closeness they can have via breastfeeding, which is unique to breastfeeding dyads.

That sweet little toddler is also going to begin having mini meltdowns, and breastfeeding is often an easy way to help your toddler calm down enough to process whatever triggered the emotional upheaval. If you wean, you lose this valuable tool from your mothering toolbox. I feel this is even more important for a working mom to have, since a working mom already has limited time to spend with her child and it is not pleasant to spend that precious time with an angry or upset child, who could very quickly be soothed by nursing.

It also will help keep your toddler healthy so you are not taking time off as often for a sick child. It also helps with teething; those dreaded molars are not far off!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I should mention that if you would like your real name and city/state published rather than your forum name, please send it to me in a private message. Thanks!

And thank you for the lovely answer, aprilsmagic - I'm planning to use it. Any other mamas?

I can't possibly say it better than aprilsmagic did! But I really second the mothering benefits- nothing soothes a miserable child more effectively than the breast! Teething? Bumped head? Skinned knee? Sick? The breast fixes those problems faster than anything else. When my 3 year old accidentally ingested a flake of red pepper and was screaming her head off in our local Korean restaurant, nursing was the only thing that calmed her down and cooled her burning mouth. I didn't expect to have to nurse a 3 year old in public, but when the moment came I was so glad I had that tool in my arsenal!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Honestly, I missed it as a newborn, because what is sweeter than having a newborn baby, but as Gav gets older and starts in with his freak outs, or like when he banged his head the other day, I really miss the calming effect of BFing. Le sigh.

Screen name and first name is fine, Maryland is my state
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!