Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wean? Mom's question from New Beginnings

Default Wean? Mom's question from New Beginnings

Hi - this is the most recent question from a mom in the New Beginnings LLLUSA magazine. Any words of wisdom for her? Please feel free to be detailed, in reply here or in a private message. Your answer may be published; please let me know if that is NOT ok! Here is the question:

“I work full time and my son is almost a year old. I know that there are reasons that moms continue to nurse, but are there any specific benefits to working moms and babies that I should consider?”

Thanks in advance for all you do, LLL mamas!

Default Re: Wean? Mom's question from New Beginn

I should mention that if you would like your real name and city/state published rather than your forum name, please send it to me in a private message. Thanks!

I don't work full time, but I have heard that nursing is a great way to reconnect with your child after having been gone all day.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

That's true. Also, the immunological benefits help because mom will miss less work. Breastfeeding reduces the risk of breast cancer in mother and child. If I'm not mistaken, nursing for longer lowers the risk more.

The level of antibodies goes up after the year point because the child is nursing less. Also after the year point if you have been pumping you can stop and continue to nurse only when together with no threat of losing milk. Plus the first year molar are a real bear to get through and the oxcytocin in breastmilk helps with the pain. It's a great way to continue to connect when seeing each other, fill in the nutritional gaps as a child begins to depend on solid foods, and ward off infection without any of the extra work of the pump.
    Also while I definitely think weaning BEGINS at the year point and should, I the the AAP recommendation of AT LEAST a year is often misinterpreted. And consider this, your one year old is really still a baby and nursing is really still a need they have. At the year point when you are no longer their sole source of nutrition so much about it can change. But it's still something they associate with love. And I think cutting it out when they don't yet have a grasp of language could be very hard and confusing. Set limits. Cutting back happens anyways because they are walking. But allow the process to be slow and gradual.

Way too lazy for formula

Lovely, Moms! Thank you!