Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Throat coat tea and BF?

Default Re: Throat coat tea and BF?

I know this is an older thread, but just for future reference...

I checked those ingredients in Dr. Hale's meds database, and the only one I could find was fennel, which is rated an L4 because it's theoretically possible (doesn't look like there's any data) that it could inhibit milk production --

An acetone extract of fennel has been shown to have estrogenic effects on the genital organs of male and female rats.[1] As an herbal medicine it is reputed to increase milk secretion, promote menstruation, facilitate birth, and increased libido. The estrogenic component is believed to be a polymer of the anethole such as dianethole or photoanethole.
    Fennel is a popular herb that has been used since ancient times. It is primarily believed to be estrogenic. Because estrogens are known to suppress breastmilk production, its use in lactating women is questionable.
    Ironically, fennel is sometimes used as a galactagogue.

Somehow I doubt this clears things up for anyone , but I figure it's good to have as much info available as possible.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

That is interesting, as fennel is often used to help milk production. Huh. Interesting. Thanks!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

this is indeed interesting. At the time I was more concerned with effects on my baby, and it didn't even occur to me that it could have an impact on my production. During that bout of illness my milk production did take a dip, but I thought it was because I was quite sick (turned out I had bronchitis and was put on antibiotics). I was gasping for air! ugh!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one