Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Throat coat tea and BF?

Exclamation Throat coat tea and BF?

Anyone knows if Throat Coat tea is safe while breastfeeding? I am freaking out b/c it says "not to be used during breastfeeding," but I already drank a cup before realizing this.

The ingredients are:

Licorice root, organic slippery elm bark, licorice root dry aqueous extract (8:1), organic marshmallow root, wild cherry bark, bitter fennel fruit, organic cinnamon bark, organic sweet orange peel.

More info: http://www.tealand.com/Organic-Throa...inals-P11.aspx

I tried to look up on Infant Risk but I couldn't find anything. Please help! I'm a bit nervous that I might have done something that will harm my baby.

Also, it would be so nice to be able to drink it, b/c my throat is so itchy and it's the only thing that calms it down so I can get some sleep.
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one

Default Re: Throat coat tea and BF?

I found this
    http://community.babycenter.com/post..._breastfeeding
    And this
    http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...t-1002528.html
    Suggesting that it's fine but they are required to label them that way to cover their butts.

thank you, Lara! I am usually soooo careful and almost paranoid about everything, but today at 4 am in a daze of sleep-deprivation, itchy throat and sinus pain I reached for the tea as my last resort without thinking before... only thought about it when I woke up later in the morning...

i love my little one

I use it myself
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I use it myself
    It's the BEST thing for sore/itchy throats. I used to drink tons of it before pregnancy. I'm assuming you've never seen any ill-effects on your babies then...? I searched the InfantRisk forum but could only find clear info on slippery elm (safe) and implicit info on marshmallow root (implied in another query that it is safe).

Dr. Hale is so cautious when talking about herbs!

i love my little one

Nope. And I drank a bunch last night. I have laryngitis AGAIN

ETA: marshmallow is discussed in the book Making More Milk as being useful for helping with letdown. When I read the ingredients, I only saw things that might be neutral or useful for milk making mamas, but I'm not an herbalist.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, sorry you have laryngitis. There's something going around... My cold is pretty awful. Hope you feel better soon. Thanks for the reply!

i love my little one

There is some nasty stuff going around. Sorry you are sick too.
    Susan

i know, it's SUPER nasty. mine has turned into bronchitis! my baby so far seems to have just the cold, with a lingering cough but no bronchitis or anything more serious.

i think my immunity is not the best these days... since baby got sick i've been up all night... i need to find a better way to take care of myself as a mom. haven't figured it out yet even after 10 months!

i love my little one

I stayed home from church with Gav today, who seems to have a touch of bronchitis from it Logan has a snotty nose now.

I think having kids means we are exposed to way more germs
    Susan