Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Left Breast Losing Supply?

Default Left Breast Losing Supply?

Hello again ladies,

I posted last week about issues with vasospasms and thrush, which I am still battling through. Now I'm worried we have a new hurdle to overcome. My son will be 6 weeks on Sunday and I worry my left breast is suddenly not producing. It has always been the over-achiever so this is worrisome to me. OALD, lots of leaking throughout the day, etc. so I have never been worried about having enough milk.

He feeds off of one side at a time and has never had any issues with this. He usually gets what he needs and is happy and content without having to eat from the other. I started noticing the past day or two though a change. Suddenly the left is barely leaking, it feels soft, flat, and empty all the time. In the meantime, the right is getting heavier and more engorged, which has never been a problem. It's like all my milk is only going to the right side.

Feedings have changed as well. He is feeding a lot shorter on the left, while getting longer on the right. I do hear the letdown right away and hear him swallowing so I know he's getting something. But at times after feeding on the left, he is fussy and wants to eat again an hour later. So far, his pee diapers haven't changed, but we have noticed he isn't pooping as much as before. Although he pooped as much as he peed, so decreasing a few of those still puts him above the normal range.

Am I worrying for nothing or does this sound like a problem? How do I go about fixing this so milk is being produced more evenly between the right and left?

Also, as a side question, do you have any tips or tricks for latching in the side lying position? We bedshare and I have been trying to do this position for over a week, but feel like I struggle to get a good latch this way, mainly because I don't have control. I hold my breast, my husband holds his head, and we do our best to work together, but it is hit or miss. Any tips on how to latch on in this position?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate all the advice

Default Re: Left Breast Losing Supply?

This link addresses lopsidedness and what to do about it: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

IDK what to do about side-lying latch except to keep trying. It's going to get much easier as baby grows!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the article! I like to search things myself before asking and had no clue what to even search for with this. I don't know why I didn't think of lopsidedness. I'm already doing a few things in there so I'll just keep it up. I'm just glad to know this is normal and not my supply tanking in one breast.

For the side lying, have you tried the blanket trick? Let me see if I can explain it-so, take a not too large blanket, one that is a thin and breathable fabric. Lay it down in the bed, and you lie on your side on one side of it, and baby lies next to you, facing you, also on the blanket, and leaving enough excess to pull the blanket up and around baby's back (don't cover the head) and put the end of the blanket under your top arm. It makes a kind of lying down sling that pulls/holds baby into the breast.

Make sure baby is positioned so he can latch onto the nipple where your breast naturally lies, if possible. Then you don't have to hold that breast, or if you do hold it to latch baby you can remove your hand once baby is latched without having the breast spring out of baby's mouth. Some moms find it helps to have baby's head rest on their lower arm, others like to have that arm under their own head. Basically keep trying, everyone does this position a bit differently, you will get it, sometimes it gets easier when baby is bigger.

Another way to be able to lie down and nurse is to do a very reclined laid back position with baby on top.

laid bck position: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

This doc has a nice illustration of side lying: http://www.llli.org/faq/positioning.html

hi there. We love to nurse side lying and it also helped me when my episiotomy stitches had not yet healed. Took some time to figure out just like you said. I looked up "breastfeeding lying down" on YouTube and found a video that helped. I nurse with baby's head on the crook of one arm and support breast with the other arm and leaning back a bit. Initially it also helped to have pillows to support the back. The blanket idea sounds great!

Thanks everybody for the tips. I am happy to say after working on it all weekend, it has gotten better. Although I may have overcorrected and now the right is smaller, but now that I know what I need to do I'll keep working to even them out.

As for the side lying tips, I really appreciate it. We seem to do really well on my right, but struggle more on my left for some reason. I love the tip about using the blanket as a wrap. Right now he still needs a lot of guidance to latch properly so I'm not sure it would work yet, but definitely would be incredibly useful a little bit down the road. I'm sure my husband would appreciate not waking up to help me latch either.

Thanks again!